My poptop converted van

Post photos, video of your van

Herbie
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: My poptop converted van

Post by Herbie »

Francoix wrote: I'll try to find an old brochure that have drawing of it.
I can go one better, I have a video:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/V ... directlink

And one more photo:
"My minivan is cooler than your bro-truck"
2003 Astro AWD Astrolander/ZMB - GTRV Top Transplant, 4" OLV Lift, NP233 T-case, evolving interior
1995 Safari GTRV Organ donor - gutted and gone.

tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Post by tribri1 »

Condo did previously another type of conversion that use the back seat for the bed.

There was a cabinet that was on hinge. It folded just ahead of the back seat. Behind the back seat, there was a frame at the same hight of the folded back seat.
Evrything was covered by cuschions. I found some pics on the web.[/quote]

Thanks for the photos, that is similar to the style I am scheming up. I'm looking at building a zfold frame that sits behind the rear seat. When the rear and the middle seat are folded down, the z-fold bed can be unfolded on the stock seats., but also has fold out legs so it can be used with one or both of the seats removed.
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

Topic author
Francoix
I am merely driving my van

Post by Francoix »

T.Low wrote:Thank you for posting pics of your van. I have wanted a Safari Condo interior for years. I think it is better than any VW Westy, better thought out than Sportsmobile, GTRV, Leisure Way, or anyone else I've seen. I love the way the table swings out and how it stowes. The microwave is in the best spot. The cabinets are large with large usable doors. Il est magnifique!

Thanks for showing the bed deployment pics. So it is in 4 sections.

1 section is the seat itself.

1 section is the backrest.

1 section is hinged to stowe undeneath the seat, and fold out.

1 section is the a storage shelf in the back area behind the backrest, nest pas?

I always thought that bottom kick plate would have to fold oout to make a piece of the bed somehow, but thanks to your pics I see that it is a support for the cushions that fold out. That makes so much more sense!

i would imagine that the section that fold under the seat actually takes up all the room under there so there is no more capacity to stowe anything else, or is there also a water tank and/or ?

Anymore info would be greatly appreciated.

1 thing i would definitely like to know: How wide is the seat bed (side to side) and how deep are the cabinets? Thanks again.

Nice van!

You're right in concern of the bed deployment.
There's not much room under the seat. I put my shoes and that's about it.

The cabinet is 20.5" deep at the bottom and 20" in at the top.
The seat bed is 41" and the cushion beside is 7".
So the bed is 48" in wide except for the front part beside the sliding door that is only 41".
Françoix

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Thank you very much, Franciox.

I've emailed Safari Condo regarding a bed, haven't heard back yet. Now I see why they are expensive as they are; they are just as intricate as a residential sofa bed if not more so, and because number of units sold are so much lower, unit pricing is going to be a little higher.

I thought a map drawer may work well under the seat.

Where is the house battery located? I assume the fresh water tank and grey water tank are both under the sink on the inside of the van as opposed to outside of the van where freezing could be a problem? How many gallons? And it does have hot water? May I ask for a picture of the sink cabinet with the doors open?

The drawer slide on the side of the fridge cabinet that has the fold out table and fold out legs is fantastic.

I thought I would not bother with a swivel on the driver's seat, and have one only on the passenger seat, but l've changed my mind and do think it would be very helpful at creating space while camping or lunching during a rain or whatever.

It would be really cool to know what you put in each cabinet when you go camping.

Thanks again for all your pics and info, it's very interesting and helpful. :cheers:
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

tribri1

Post by tribri1 »

T.Low,

Drop me a line when you get the quote for the seat, Maybe they will give a deal if 2 are ordered instead of just one. We might be able to save on freight too, if they bundle together

tribri1
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Roger that.

My wife told me at lunch today to buy a new dual sport, sell my '93 F-150 4x4 and and my current dual sport, and finish the van. I said, "Yes, Boss, right away, Boss.

IF Safari Condo will still do a sofa bed for the 'stro, it's gonna be spendy.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

Topic author
Francoix

Post by Francoix »

T.Low wrote:Thank you very much, Franciox.

I've emailed Safari Condo regarding a bed, haven't heard back yet. Now I see why they are expensive as they are; they are just as intricate as a residential sofa bed if not more so, and because number of units sold are so much lower, unit pricing is going to be a little higher.

I thought a map drawer may work well under the seat.

Where is the house battery located? I assume the fresh water tank and grey water tank are both under the sink on the inside of the van as opposed to outside of the van where freezing could be a problem? How many gallons? And it does have hot water? May I ask for a picture of the sink cabinet with the doors open?

The drawer slide on the side of the fridge cabinet that has the fold out table and fold out legs is fantastic.

I thought I would not bother with a swivel on the driver's seat, and have one only on the passenger seat, but l've changed my mind and do think it would be very helpful at creating space while camping or lunching during a rain or whatever.

It would be really cool to know what you put in each cabinet when you go camping.

Thanks again for all your pics and info, it's very interesting and helpful. :cheers:
The two house batteries are under the van in a metal box just beside the sliding door.
The fresh and grey water tanks are beside the rear seat under the cabinet. Both can contain 10 gallons. The hot water tank is in the left cabinet and has a capacity of 1 gallon. Except of the house batteries, there's nothing under the van. I don't use my van during winter time so I don't have experience to share with you of very cold temperature. But few times I when camping below freezing (around 30) and I didn't have problem with the tab.

Althought the front table is well design, I don't use it very often. The swivel seat is a must though. I gives much more room when you stay in your van.

Just tell me everything you want to see and I'll take pics of it. Fortunatly, all my camping gear is not in the van yet.
Françoix

tribri1

Post by tribri1 »

I would love to see a photo of the house battery location and box... A shot of the swivel seat base would be great too. I am curious how it compares to Herbie's. Thanks for the offers to post lots of photos. How about a city to city tour to show off the van... Just a thought.

Great A'Tuin
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by Great A'Tuin »

Perfect Interior!
Now I'm going to order a swivel base!
john

2000 LS AWD
2.5" lift, 3.73 G80, Bilsteins, 235/75-15 Toyo A/T's, 2500 Brakes, Skid plate
Ultra-Gauge, Long/Tru-Cool tranny cooler, Electric fans, Bed Kit. 265,000 miles.

raSafari
I am smitten with my van

Post by raSafari »

Beautiful interior!

If you could, I'd love to see some photos of the swivel mechanism on the rear table, as I've been flirting with the idea of a rebuild, and I like how that looks!

Thanks!

Kelamomi

Re: My converted van 2 of 2

Post by Kelamomi »

Francoix wrote:three more pics
DSC_0350p.jpg
DSC_0351p.jpg
DSC_0352p.jpg
Nice

Ironhide

Post by Ironhide »

Dude! that is such a cool interior! Makes me want to redo mine! Great Job. That is the reason I really enjoy this forum, all the ideas that are posted. Anybody in the Northwest area that knows of any type of pop top donor van that fits our vans, PLEASE let me know!