Engine won't keep running

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO HOW YOUR VAN RUNS. IF IT BOGS, HESITATES, BACKFIRES OR JUST PLAIN RUNS LIKE CRAP...THIS IS THE PLACE FOR IT!

Topic author
oldewrench
I am merely driving my van

Engine won't keep running

Post by oldewrench »

Engine won't keep running, it fires once and dies. Prior to this I unhooked the positive side of the battery, took the front doors apart to install new door handles. The safari awd has power windows/locks. After assembly I connected the positive side of the battery again and the engine won't keep running. The "check guages" light on the dash comes on. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Jerry

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Engine won't keep running

Post by astroturf »

oldewrench wrote:Engine won't keep running, it fires once and dies. Prior to this I unhooked the positive side of the battery, took the front doors apart to install new door handles. The safari awd has power windows/locks. After assembly I connected the positive side of the battery again and the engine won't keep running. The "check guages" light on the dash comes on. Any ideas??
Thanks,
Jerry
I cleaned my Maf and reset my Ecu yesterday.

Anytime I have disconnected the battery, I have had to loosen and retighten the batteries connection. Could be your issue. I just hate to see you chase around.

Give it a shot, Jim

Topic author
oldewrench

Post by oldewrench »

Thanks Jim. I let the van sit for 30 minutes, went out to check the battery cables. All was tight. I started the van and it started and idled fine. Then when I hit the gas it sputtered. I gave it the lead foot and took it for a ride. It ran fine, stopped and went several times and it seems good to good. Some of my VW buddies said to let it sit with juice available to the ECU for a while and then try it. If it starts don't rev it up, just let it idle for 10 minutes and then drive it. The theory is that the ECU just needed time to get over it's brain fart!!! The van is my work vehicle for my carpentry work so I am glad she's running. Thanks again for responding Jim.
Jerry O

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Anytime Jerry,

That's what it's all about.

But, That might be a good tech tip you have there. The reconnect and wait, I never have. I will try that next time.

Thanks, Jim