Stealth subwoofer location.

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
2000AWD
I am merely driving my van

Stealth subwoofer location.

Post by 2000AWD »

I've been toying with the idea of adding some amps and a sub to the Astro and I had a hairbrained idea of possibly putting a single 10" sub on the drivers side between the inner plastic panel and the outer metal of the van from the back of the wheelwell, over and to the front of the wheelwell. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? I was thinking about trying my hand at fiberglassing a box to fit in this area so I could get maximum depth and airspace from this small area. I've never had that panel off so I'm not sure exactly how much space is available. Just a crazy idea, so tell me if I've lost it or not!!

Thanks,

Jay

2000 Astro LS AWD - bone stock....for now

If it won't fit, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway!

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

instead of over the wheel well......if you don't have rear a/c.....a better bet would be to glass in the area behind the wheel well and the very back of the van....directly opposite where the jack is. you'd have enough space for a ten inch easy and to make it sound really good.......possibly even a 12.......
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

LaGrasta
I sleep in my van

Post by LaGrasta »

good idea blk lt awd.

I actually sealed my rear dutch doors and installed a 10" MTX in each. I'm very pleased with the results. I sacrificed some sound quality however they are installed completely out of the way which was really important to me. In reality, each woofer should have at least 1 cu.ft. of enclosure.
1998 Astro, 246,000 miles

K&N air filter
TruCool trans cooler
2" Overland lift & 15" BFG Terrain, 3.73 gears
JET Performance SCU-2000 (Speed Control Unit)
Gabriel Ultra shocks, rear AirLift bags & sway bar
Draw-Tite Dual Port Hitch System, hitch-mounted bike rack (4), hitch-mounted cargo tray, Thule roof-mounted cargo box

Topic author
2000AWD

Post by 2000AWD »

Unfortunately I have rear air, and I don't want to give that up!! It's 113 deg. here today!!

I was hoping there was enough space between the rear air and the back of the wheel well for a 10" and then fiberglass an enclosure up over the wheel well towards the front of the van to get airspace. Basically I'm trying to mimic the "stealth" subwoofer enclosures made by JL audio. I'll have to tear into the side panel and see how much actual space there is.

Thanks for the ideas,
Jay

astrosafari
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by astrosafari »

and then theres the room under every seat... or a custom center console, the space right above the jack, in the side back windows...
91 blazer|00 extreme|99 winter beater

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

to make life super easy........make ureself a custom console type enclosure between the front two seats.........won't take any space at all with a single ten or even a twelve....... you can add extra cup holders or storage, have the sub firing down for protection......
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

2000AWD wrote:Unfortunately I have rear air, and I don't want to give that up!! It's 113 deg. here today!!

I was hoping there was enough space between the rear air and the back of the wheel well for a 10" and then fiberglass an enclosure up over the wheel well towards the front of the van to get airspace. Basically I'm trying to mimic the "stealth" subwoofer enclosures made by JL audio. I'll have to tear into the side panel and see how much actual space there is.

Thanks for the ideas,
Jay

Forget the custom sub install! [-X I used to live in Mesa and remember those summer temps well!!! Image You better get on that transmission cooler!! Quick!!

90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
2000AWD

Post by 2000AWD »

Got the gauge pod and gauge, JEGS sent me the wrong cooler other wise that is what I would be doing this weekend. Should be in by early next week, so I'm all over it! The first of many mods to come!

Thanks again,

Jay

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

I'd do "under seat" enclosures, with down firing subs... Should be plenty under there for a 10" sub... unless you have power seats, which you prolly do...
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

Sublimewind
I am smitten with my van

Post by Sublimewind »

I'd do "under seat" enclosures, with down firing subs... Should be plenty under there for a 10" sub... unless you have power seats, which you prolly do...
Any fool can go fast in a straight line....
94' Astro AWD EXT W
Other rides:
03' Pontiac Vibe
00' Subaru Impreza 2.5Rs w/2.0 WRX swap
99' Subaru Impreza 2.5RS
The GF...

You can't go wrong with Ohms Law

trybe13
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by trybe13 »

I don't know why he hasn't posted a pic of this, but this belongs to blk lt awd:

90 Safari XT Hi Top
Lead guitarist for The Jericho Effect
Click the link to bang that head! http://www.ilike.com/artist/Trybe13

Topic author
2000AWD

Post by 2000AWD »

I don't know why either, but the installation looks great! Very cool idea.

Under the front seats...never even thought of that. I've got an LS version so no power seats. Is anyone using these and how does it affect the sound stage? Not that much of one exists in these vans, but that could be the solution to my desire to keep the cargo area open. A 10" under each would be nice.

I'd love to make a center console, but I may eventually swap in a 2 speed transfer case and the shift lever needs to go somewhere. This site has a way of making you spend your money before it's even made! But I should be used to that by now. #-o

Thanks again all for your suggestions. I'll post pics once I make up my mind and actually get something installed.

Thanks,
Jay

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

thanks for the compliments and thanks for posting trybe........however i didn't post it because i cut out my floor to make the enclosure work and didn't think you wanted to go that far..........however.......with a single ten you could always build a false floor.......ie. build a shallow enclosure that runs across the entire floor in the back, get enough airspace out of it as well as flush mounting your amp/s......plus with proper grills, you can still throw whatever you want on top..........but keep us updated, whatever route you take.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

Topic author
2000AWD

Post by 2000AWD »

Well, I did some poking around last night, and looks like I'm back to square one. I dont' think I can put enough Dynamat on the rear panel to keep it from rattling so trying to glass in a box behind that panel it out at this point. I took some measurements under the front seats and it looks like all I'm going to be able to squeak out for airspace is a measly .22 cubic feet with a standard sealed enclosure. Not even close to adequate for a 10"

My plan originally was to mount 2 amps and an electronic crossover where the jack is but I may have to look into putting those under the front seats and making an enclosure for that area, using a ton of sound deadening to keep the plastic side panels from buzzing. Back to the drawing board.

Thanks again all,

Jay

blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

well you don't need to use a ton of deadner......you've got the hollow rails, for lack of better words, on the sides of the van...if u notice there are gaps between these rails and the outside walls of the van.....take a can of expanding foam and fill those in.....that will do the trick for you...and the plastic....just glass it...you won't get any rattles.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R