??? about locked up front diff & missing driveshaft

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
warrior1
I am merely driving my van

??? about locked up front diff & missing driveshaft

Post by warrior1 »

I am looking to buy a 97 model AWD, however, after inspecting the van, I noticed that it lacked a front driveshaft. Then upon closer inspection it was also missing the cv shafts from the diff to the hubs on both sides. Seeing this I tried turning the flange on the diff to see if it would rotate. It did not.I cranked on it with my hands but it wouldnt turn. It seems to me that it should turn seeing as how there are no shafts hooked up to it. So I can only guess that the front diff is bad, therefore the missing cv's and driveshaft. I have read the posts concerning the viscous transfer case and am wondering if it may be ruined also. The van drove just fine, however, it is obviously lacking the AWD capability.

Does this sound like this is the case? Bad front diff? And in the experience of the members, should I run from this van? Its priced super super cheap & I dont mind replacing parts if it can be corrected without spending a whole lot of money. Im experienced with 4x4's and am fairly mechanically competent. Just not familiar with costs and parts availability of the Astro.

Thanks in advance for all the help and opinions offered.

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: ??? about locked up front diff & missing driveshaft

Post by mdmead »

Who is selling the van and was any of this info disclosed to you? I'd be a bit nervous about this van's past.

I'd bet the t-case is bad too. Running without the front shaft for long periods of time can destroy (lock up) the viscous clutch.

If the price is cheap enough, you certainly could replace the t-case, diff, drive-shaft and axle shafts. But unless you have a cheap source for parts, you may be able to find a working van for the same or cheaper.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

Sounds to me like the front diff took a dump, front axle seals should be checked every oil change and replaced ASAP if leaking. ](*,)

I did the same as this van's owner when Grumpy's front diff went and I was short on funds. I ended up buying a parts van with a bad engine and swapping the diff, CVs, axle hubs, and transfer case. I wouldn't be surprised if this van would need the same. Personally, I wouldn't buy a van that's in this condition unless I already had the parts lined up.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

How cheap is super cheap? I am looking for something like this myself. You can find used parts if you look long enough. If you have to buy new parts, it'll obviously cost a ton more. If you can get it for just over scrap price, I say go for it. There will be no better way to get to know your new van! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
warrior1

Post by warrior1 »

Well, thanks for the replies. The price is $2000 here in TX. The van is in good shape other than the drivetrain. New AC system, battery and catalytic converter. The van is at a wholesaler and they "just got it in." They had only driven it to get it to the AC shop and muffler shop. I actually inspected it at the AC shop while it was being repaired.

I have pretty much talked myself out of buying this van for serveral reasons. I prefer the newer system, and I dont want to burn my wife out with a project that may need a few more dollars. I will more than likely just step up and spend more on a 2003 or newer model.

I just wanted this one because I like the color, interior config, 3.73 gears and the price, but its worth more to spend more and keep the wife off my ass. [-(

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I think walking away is a good idea. I'd be hard pressed to pay $2K for a van with a completely inop AWD system.

Good luck in your search!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
warrior1

Post by warrior1 »

I believe Ill follow your advice. I am a competent mechanic and am not scared of the job, i just dont want to be $$ into a lot of parts when i could have bought a better van to begin with. Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

the work is not impossible, but the price is to high for a buggered up van.
I paid 350 bux for my awd, and all it needed was a heater core.

For 2000, I can get a pretty nice van in working condition.
In fact I've had 4 vans and never paid that much for any.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.