Crack in control arm bracket (Pics)

Topic author
Krank88
I finally get the smurf thing

Crack in control arm bracket (Pics)

Post by Krank88 »

I finally looked under my van to see where it was leaking transmission fluid when I happened upon a crack in the frame bracket that holds the lower control arm, I think. Is this repairable. I had the front end aligned several weeks ago and I would feel that a good front end mechanic(Goodyear) would have spotted this. Is this dangerous? Can I drive it to a body shop? How much to repair? Thanks for any assistance.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

By swampdude at 2011-07-19

Any clue to where the transmission leak might be coming from would be appreciated also. Its oily in front of trans oil pan. (Yeah I know, the shocks are a little decrepit).
88 astro high top Sherrod conversion, Rebuilt 4.3z

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Crack in control arm bracket (Pics)

Post by 1Gary »

Being totally honest-I am reluctant to suggest stuff on cracks like yours because there are risks.Pictures do show what looks like a minor issue,but pictures can be deceiving.Never be afraid to spend alittle more and error on the safe side having it flatbed to the place to do the repairs.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Maybe I'm blind, but I don't see anything. Can you post a close-up?

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

Thanks for response Gary. You are correct, the picture is deceiving. I drove to a body shop(slowly of course) and they said one of the cracks in the picture was a shadow and the crack could be welded with no problem, but of course he said he never guarantees welds there. They said they would weld it and I would have to keep an eye on it. An hours work he said, so about $100.00. They seemed sure it would be ok, so off I go. On another sad note, the transmission leak is coming from the front main seal. Rats! My first estimate was $400. Ouch.

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

Can't seem to get in there close enough or closeup. I have limited Camera skills. The second picture above the control arm bolt, in the crease of the bracket, directly below the oil spill on the bracket. It is hardly visible and I am not sure now if it is a 4" crack or if it is some imperfection in the bracket or what. Body shop is going to look at it next week but he said it is difficult to see, he felt it when he dragged a knife across it.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Are you sure the bracket isn't just welded on the inside? Lots of times the radiused edges are not welded. Looks factory to me. Take a wire brush and brake clean and clean it real well. I bet it's nothing.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

The good news is, you guys were right, there was no crack there, according to the mechanic that just looked at it. The bad news is I am overdue for a new pair of glasses, in addition to not knowing what I am doing. The transmission leak was from a torque converter bushing going bad that damaged the torque converter. The leak was immediate and severe. They changed the torque converter, all tranny seals, and installed shiny new shock absorbers(sensatrac) for a mere $1200.00. The transmission shifts flawlessly now. They are expensive, but considered the best. When I went to pick up the car, the inside of the garage was like an oven and the mechanics were haggard looking and soaking wet(95 deg w/ 75% humidity). Probably why it took a week to do.

Thanks again for the advice.