it just won't start

WIN-ALDL, PROM BURNING, ERROR CODES, RPO CODES, SES LIGHT, CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, VIN INFO, FACTORY INSTALLED OPTIONS LIST

Topic author
94astroxlt
I am merely driving my van

it just won't start

Post by 94astroxlt »

hello folks, my name is Luke and i am joining this web site because i have always had good
luck getting help and info from people that are owners of certain vehicles. i have a 86
monte carlo CL custom that my son and I built and i am a member of the national monte carlo
association. but my problem now is with my wifes 94 astro XLT 2wd 4.3 TBI started having a
hesitation from start all the way up to cruizing speed, almost a misfire.
right now i am stuck because it will not start. in feb of this year i replaced the intake
gasket, complete tune up, plugs,wires,dist cap/rotor,starting module,coil,idleair valve,
TPS, EGR "gasket/Screen" and all was good up until 2 weeks ago. then the starteling started.
a week ago sunday i decided to replace the spark plugs, did the passenger side and tried to
start and it did not. since then i have went through 2 sets of plugs "filing them out" a new
set of plug wires, cap/rotor, coil, and distributor. reset timing using 2nd
timing mark on balancer as the book said just in case but this
thing will not fire up. i have spark and good cones of gas but when i try to start it
makes a good attempt then upon stalling a puff of vapor/smoke comes out of the TBI holes
that smell like oil, not burnt oil, just like oil. this van we've had for 5 years, we bought
it with 86K on it and now she has 155K, it has been maintained religiously, it is my wifes
baby. i am at a total loss... i need some point of direction to check next... she treates
this van like i treat my show car. can someone give some input no mater how bad the news
might be.. cam toasted? even worse motor?
i do appreciate any input and thank you in advance
Luke :-s

justice
I sleep in my van

Re: it just won't start

Post by justice »

the hesitation you mentioned makes me think you need to take a look at your fuel pump. My 87 started doing the same thing.

The fuel pump was working but just not putting out enough pressure.

At 155k, if you have not replaced the fuel pump already, its probably time to do so.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

When someone is cranking the engine over pound on the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist. If it starts up the fuel pump is bad. The pounding on the tank will usually jolt the pump loose. Just remember his only works one time so do not shut the engine off until it is somewhere it can be fixed.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

tribri1
I get chills without my van.

Post by tribri1 »

Also since you pulled the distributor once, make sure you found TDC for the power stroke, not the exhaust stroke. Typically to check, you find TDC and wire it up, if it does not run then pull the distributor out again and give it a 180 turn then wire up and it will start. Well it will start if that is the problem anyway.
2000 Ford Econoline GTRV Full Camper
2003 AWD Astro-VTop-Surf/River/Roadtrip Rig - In the great campground in the sky

Topic author
94astroxlt

Post by 94astroxlt »

i have got fuel to the TBI, haven't done a pressure test yet. my issue now is i noticed a hiss coming from the drivers side valve cover and when i took the valve cover off a piece of one of the valve seals was laying in the head. i think the seal that is rubber in the intake valve seal right with the metal retainer around it. also when i'm cranking the motor over i do not see any oil coming to the top of the head. or won't it come up until the engine is running. i did some testing of wire ends and noticed that the oil pressure sending unit has constant power, is that correct? this is driving me crazy :-k

Topic author
94astroxlt

Post by 94astroxlt »

on the 94 TBI do i still go by the old method compression stroke dist pointing at #1 drop the dist in pointing rotor at number 1 cylinder, both valves closed. also why do i have 2 timing marks on balancer. i have a S-10 book that says disregard 1st mark go with 2nd just don't know if that goes the same with Astro's
thanks

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Check the ECM A and B fuses under the dash. Then check the fuel pressure at the rail. Don't go by sight...may not be enough pressure to start. You can also check the ECM wire harness that runs from the passenger side kick panel to the fire wall just in front of the doghouse cover on the pass side. It then goes over the top of the right side valve cover. You are looking for burned or melted wires.

I can't answer on the timing stuff.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
94astroxlt

Post by 94astroxlt »

Well figured it out, would help if I 1 put the dist back in at TDC, note go by first timing mark on the balancer not second mark. Also on my fan shroud there was a sticker that said to unplug single wire adjacent to dist while setting time . Took a minute to find but it is a single wire running along the back of engine outside of the harness cover near the dist with a straight pig tail like whats on some O2 sensors. Also while the dist was out again pulled EGR and it was stuck open, wasn’t like that before? So in the end my original problem is fixed. whether it was the plugs,wires,cap,rotor,dist,egr the issue is fixed so for what it’s worth hope my problem and resolution helps someone else that’s great. this may only apply to 4.3 Vortec TBI vin W
Thanks
Luke

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Luke-did you replace the EGR gasket with a help section screened one???.That is a $8.00 investment that will come back to ten fold over the yrs.With mine I also replaced the bolts with lock tighted studs that I found the exhaust studs from a Ford exhaust fit.I sure does make that inside bolt a hell of alot easier when your putting it back together.Just my two cents worth.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
94astroxlt

Post by 94astroxlt »

oh ya, replaced gasket, if it's coming off and there a gasket it will be replaced. when i originally did the intake gasket everything got replaced in the way, i was really surprised when it started acting up a few weeks ago. she always has ran like a champ, but i still have to deal with a intake valve gasket is missing the retainer around it. have done them before not fun with heads on but do-able
thanks
Luke