Tire Rub with New Tires

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
altozwei
I am merely driving my van

Tire Rub with New Tires

Post by altozwei »

Put some new tires on my van but they do rub just a bit under certain circumstances. I put a set of BF Goodrich T/A 235/70 R15's on with some new wheels. The rubbing only happens on the front right but I can't figure out exactly where it is rubbing. My husband and I have both looked but since it only happens when it is moving and making a sharp right turn we can't see it when parked. Took it back to my tire shop and the guy trimmed off some of the wheel well material and pronounced it fixed, but it still rubs. Any suggestions on how to find the right spot?

'97 Astro, 7 passenger (still mostly stock, but getting better)

Jasen

Re: Tire Rub with New Tires

Post by Jasen »

My first thought is the off set of the new wheels. The wheel my sit inboard a bit to much causing the tire to rub.
Jack it up, secure with a jack stand and pull the tire, you'll probably be able to see a clean spot where the tire has rubbed away the dirt.
Might be a simple fix of cutting away a little plastic. Search the forum for tires, many have modified things to fit some pretty big tires on their vans.

brokenwrench
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by brokenwrench »

Jasen wrote:My first thought is the off set of the new wheels. The wheel my sit inboard a bit to much causing the tire to rub.
Jack it up, secure with a jack stand and pull the tire, you'll probably be able to see a clean spot where the tire has rubbed away the dirt.
Might be a simple fix of cutting away a little plastic. Search the forum for tires, many have modified things to fit some pretty big tires on their vans.
they hit on the front inside edge of the wheel opening, they hit relatively flat so do no damage to tire and leave minimal mark. paint the wheel well edge with water paint and you will see.

Topic author
altozwei

Post by altozwei »

I'll try marking the wheel well to try to spot the problem. I have a Dremel that I can use to remove the spot as long as I can find it. The guy at the tire shop hacked a piece off but it wasn't the right piece. I'm hoping to do a little better :-)