Torque Converter Mystery

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
Krank88
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Torque Converter Mystery

Post by Krank88 »

I've just responded(BBB) to the response to my complaints. It appears that the gloves are now off and we are going back and forth. It's getting somewhat nasty, but in a passive aggressive civil way. He has painted a completely different picture, where he is the victim. It was extremely disconcerting at first. He keeps requesting that I return again, so we can go for a ride together and we can feel the transmission together and he can explain things to me again, together. He wants to take me for a ride. Sounds delightful, but no. His letter makes a number of untrue statements, but he also implies and suggests things in a subtle way that show he is sneaky. Unfortunately for him, I have kept all of my receipts to show I have taken care of the van, old as it is. I used the phrase "faulty repair" as many times as I can when responding to his letter. I am encouraged that I am being heard.
88 astro high top Sherrod conversion, Rebuilt 4.3z

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

In case anyone is wondering, something very interesting has happened. I'm unable to comment at present. Stay tuned.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

subscribed!
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Hoping for a positive turnout!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

"subscribed!"

Snort.:). Love the avatar...that is just an avatar, right?

"Hoping for a positive turnout!"

Thanks, it is looking better.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Krank88 wrote:"subscribed!"

Snort.:). Love the avatar...that is just an avatar, right?

Nah, kids took a pic of me at tax time :muhaha:

Actually I got it from an avatar list on anandtech a few years back. I've been told it's a game character, don't recall the name but he looks just like I felt a few years back dealing with the ex. I took custody of my boys in '03 and it was a battle, that avatar really summed up my mindset afterward.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'93 cargo, work in progress

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

It sounds like you went through the wringer, which makes the avatar perfect.

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

Well here it is. I received a copy of the mechanics invoice for the converter from the BBB. They bought the converter for $100. Autozone just happens to sell this same converter for $89.00. The only difference is when I go to Autozone's website and enter the part # on the invoice, it says check the fit, which I do, and it says that this is the incorrect part. It says:

“ ! DOES NOT FIT, Unfortunately the part you selected DOES NOT FIT your VEHICLE!

It says “VIEW ITEMS THAT FIT”, and it comes back with another part # that sounds almost the same(except a "G" was substituted for an "E" in the number). My mechanic has insisted that he use's Napa parts for years, therefore his high cost. Won't his trusting, unsuspecting customers be surprised when they find out he uses cheap parts? It is now 3 months and nobody has thought to check to see if this was the correct converter? I called the manufacturer. A perky young lady came on the line. She confirmed that I had the wrong part. I spoke to the rebuilder there, he confirmed I had the wrong part, and he said the difference is the stall speed.

So, my mechanic may have been waiting for the converter to go out, then say I needed a new transmission? Hmmm. That's just speculation.

What I mean to say is, after all my complaining, his test drives, and notifying the BBB, that the mechanic never checked the part#? Not even after 3 months. Sounds to me like, he knew, but he would be loosing money to go back in and replace it, so he brought out the smoke and mirrors. Again, speculation. I have a dreadful feeling, that he has already thought up an excuse.

He keeps saying he wants me to bring it back. I imagine him tearing my trans down, charging me a fortune, and covering his mistake.

Tomorrow, I will respond to the BBB, informing them of this.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

The stall speed may be different from what your van originally had but a different stall speed won't necessarily create major problems. It will change the way the vehicle moves, i.e. higher or lower RPM's before the van begins to move. Typically the cheaper converters have a lower stall speed, which is more in line with a stock rated converter. Expensive ($300 range) converters have a very high stall speed and are used for racing only.

My point is that converters are not very expensive and the stall ratings can be changed within a short range and still give roughly the same driving "feel."

Just out of curiousity, what is the rated stall speed of the converter that he installed?

Just a suggestion but maybe you could post up the part numbers so the more knowledgeable folks here can decide if the mechanic really did install the wrong parts. I would not rely on Autozone's computer.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

The part installed was a Dacco B29DGF.

Autozone and Dacco call for a B29DEG. Websites are Autozone.com and Daccoinc.com

When I called Dacco Inc. and ask if they were interchangeable, he said they had different stall speeds.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: the stall speed listed on the invoice is 1397rpm for the B29DGF
The stall speed on the correct converter B29DEF is 1654.

EDit2: also http://www.jandhtransmission.com/site20 ... _2010.html
Last edited by Krank88 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

Also, the mechanic is saying that it is the transmission clutches. The transmission worked excellent before the tq install. It now has a roar and vibration, that comes from the torque conveter area while driving. My gut is that it is the torque converter that is slipping, and he doesn't want to go back in to replace it because he will loose money.

Edit: Also, I don't know if this might apply.

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/transmi ... antsb.html

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Hmmm. I just installed a converter with a stall speed of 1650.

"The whole idea behind different stall speeds is to allow the car to launch at or just below the point where the engine makes the most torque." quoted from, http://www.hardtail.com/techtips/select ... erter.html This is a good article to read.

I think yours at 1397 would be below the point of most torque. So the converter is locking up before the engine really has the power to get you moving. Compared to your old converter it may feel a little sluggish in first gear, but the rest should be fine. It should not cause shuddering or leaking of any kind.

I think the guy used whatever he could find and then botched the install by not properly seating it, thus damaging the pump. He knows the trans is now toast and needs a complete overhaul.

BTW I am no expert on this, I just installed my own tranny and converter but it was my first time.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
Krank88

Post by Krank88 »

Actually, it is sluggish through all of the gears especially 3rd, especially after it warms up, but feels better when it gets to around 50. But getting up to 50 is the problem. Although, the torque may not be the entire problem, the incorrect part cast doubt on the repair. Thanks for the input, I will read the article.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

The first (and only) mechanic I visited turned me into a DIY'er. I think you're headed that way too! Save up some cash, buy a rebuilt tranny and converter from a reputable shop and slap it in. I did mine by myself in a few hours. It's way easier than you'd think!

I assume you have checked the fluid levels and all the electrical connections on the tranny? It is possible the converter is not locking up and you're getting slippage. Could be something as simple as a loose electrical connection or a broken wire. I would take a careful look at the connectors, perhaps reconnect them.

Also, you may want to inspect the drive shaft. Look for loose bolts where it connects to the axle. He would have had to remove the shaft to slide the tranny back to replace the converter. Maybe he forgot to torque the bolts. You might even want to remove the inspection cover on the bell housing and see if you can move the converter with your finger.....he may not have tightened the flywheel to converter bolts!

brokenwrench

Post by brokenwrench »

it is possible that the rebuilt converter is defective

it is possible that things are assembled incorrectly

it is possible that something was damaged in the pump during assembly