Anyone know how to do a dealer level reset of the PCM (ECU)

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Anyone know how to do a dealer level reset of the PCM (ECU)

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I just bought a rebuilt transmission from Monster Transmissions. They told me that the tranny info in the PCM needs to be cleared prior to first run of the new tranny. They recommended taking it to the dealer and said it's not something that can be reset by simply disconnecting the battery, etc.

OK, so I get that. But I'm a DIY'er and I don't let anyone work on my vehicles for a number of reasons. So, good people of ASV, is there any way I can reset those codes myself without using a tool that costs more than the vehicle? I have an OBDII scanner but I'm certain that it's not in the price range that allows such factory level programming. I believe it just clears emission data and resets the MIL.

Any tricks? Anyone near Los Angeles, CA (more specifically 91020) that has such a tool? Does anyone know of a cheap alternative to the pricey dealer level tool? Has anyone else needed to do this?

Thanks! I appreciate your comments.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: Anyone know how to do a dealer level reset of the PCM (E

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Are you telling me that of all the folks on here who have done tranny swaps and rebuilds nobody has ever reset the TAP (Transmission Adaptive Pressure) in the PCM? :-k

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Got a buddy at a local tranny shop??.Just a thought.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Sheeze...if I did I wouldn't be doing a tranny swap by myself this weekend!

I wish these "scan-tools" would be more specific as to what level of access they have to DTC info. They all just say "clears DTC's." As I understand it there are multiple "levels" of codes and your run of the mill autoparts store variety can only access maybe two levels down.

I just bought a JET Dynamic Spectrum Tuner which seems to go deeper than your basic scan-tool allowing you to modify the LUTS and whatnot. But I still can't get a clear answer as to whether or not it will reset anything on the level I require. I know I can go in and change tranny line pressure and a slew of other adjustments but I have no idea what the factory settings are. I suppose I may be able to change them one by one but that leaves me kinda blind as to whether or not something I can't access is still making counter-adjustments.

I really don't want to rely on a shop....how will I even know if they have the proper tool and if they are doing it right? They could show me and I still wouldn't have a clue. Honestly I don't even trust a dealer to do it right being that I will have installed the tranny. I would have more confidence in the tech who installs trannies to be the one clearing the codes since his job performance is on the line....but alas....I just don't trust ANY mechanic. I have to be the one who does it. I just can't figure out what it is that needs to be done. I find it hard to believe I need a $10,000 scan-tool to do the job. If so, that totally sucks.

I do not want to half-ass the tranny since it's essentially "new." The engine was another story....I will probably end up replacing it soon. Do we have any true mechanics here who have knowledge of the PCM?

I suppose I need to dig deeper into my FSM's and see what they say. I did read that there is another transmission only dedicated computer someplace on the passenger side fender in addition to the PCM that has an EEPROM that stores all kinds of crap. I don't know if it has to be accessed directly or through the PCM.

I Used to think my Land Cruiser was a PITA to work on...I'll take a 1982 computer controlled vehicle over this any day.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

try and shoot v8famvan a pm he is a gmc master mechanic.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Alright! Will do! Thanks!