Broken steering box bolts, ect...

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Broken steering box bolts, ect...

Post by 1Gary »

Time for a reality check here.Sorry for your loss.But even if it could be brought back to even close to where is is supposed to be,it will never be right after that kind of jolt.That is over 4,000 lbs of medal at speed benting the body/sub frame.The slider pillar is just showing the end result of it being bent somewhere else.Fixed the best way possible,I would not want to own it long term and I suggest you don't either.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Inky
I am merely driving my van

Post by Inky »

Point taken 1Gary. At first I assumed a total loss without digging any deeper than seeing the wheel well and tweeked doors. I assumed bent subframe and suspension components all askew. This may end up being the case but I'm not ready to give up on it just yet. I went to a you-pull wrecking yard today and paid a whopping $1 for the bolts. The place had very good prices and had several vans to choose from, or the remains thereof. I found a '97 there with no front end damage. I would obviously prefer new parts but I can either get it back on the road cheap, or its gonna sit for who knows how long. If I had another vehicle, or money for one, I would probably not be so reluctant to just let it go. My van is a '98, can anyone tell me if '94 to 2003 front suspension components will work? They had several vans in the 94 to 2003 range. I got home and got the box bolted back in, and adjusted the tie rods so it looks straight. I would have taken it around the block but the right front tire had gone flat. Looks like the bead isn't seated properly, though it held air for a few days afterward. I would have taken the wheel off and ran it down to Les Schwab but I can't find the socket to fit the locking lug nuts ](*,)

ihatemybike
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by ihatemybike »

A lot of the suspension pieces from the 2003 will bolt up. When I don't know for sure of a part's interchange I go to www.RockAuto.com, look up the part, then click the part number. This brings up a list of vehicles/years that the part is known to be used for.
Aaron

2005 Astro (Gandalf) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, 130k+ miles
1997 Astro (Grumpy - $250 Rally Van) - AWD, 4.3L, 3.42, LSD, 2" lift, 31" tires, 335k+ orig engine, $30 eBay fuel pump
Prev Astros:99,97,00,94,87,86

Topic author
Inky

Post by Inky »

Thanks for the link Aaron! Got the locking lug nut off by hammering a 19mm six point socket onto it, Les schwab fixed the tire up for me, had a bunch of dirt packed into the bead. Unfortunately the tire has a nice slice across it, and will need replaced if I intend to keep the van. I drove it about two miles to the shop today. It pulled to the right a little, not horribly, and the right tire hits the rear of the wheelwell when turned sharply. It will be a couple of days before I get the professional prognosis.

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Hey Bud-I know this forum is about the vans.But the one thing this site is known for more than anything is it is about it's members.A family affair.

Now I am telling you I have had two heart attacks and two stents and a number of other health issues.

I am suggesting the dam van aside,you need to stand up for yourself and tell the doctors you want to know now what happened.No more we don't know and well we'll do more test.Don't accept that as a answer.

Honestly,it is that update the I am interested in.Then we can deal with the van.OK??.

Rochester,NY

Cobra
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Cobra »

Gary it's entirely possible he doesn't particularly wish to speak about any health problems he may have at least that's the way it felt to me (i know two guys that come to mind that don't even wanna think about it let alone talk about it) and it's not polite to pry

I'm really curious what the professional will say about the van since we already know what an insurance company would say....... ](*,) have i ever mentioned i don't like auto insurance companies especially the ones in ontario..... :-k
1998 GMC Safari AWD, BFGoodrich AllTerrain T/A
Jet performance tuner 91 octane preset, Jet under-drive pulleys
Rancho 999000 series shock, on-board controller to be installed later
DHC rock rails and skid plate Add-A-Leaf
G3500 front calipers
Zexel Torsen Diff
11" drums
180 amp Alternator
Long tru-cool 4590 trans cooler

1997 gone

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

That's the way I roll.I care about you and you and you and then you and then a van.If I am wrong leading with my heart,that's who I am.OK??.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Inky

Post by Inky »

Thanks for being concerned Gary. True I was reluctant to talk about my health problems, I came to you guys because you know Astros, not because I was looking for medical advice. I am pretty new here and don't really know anyone so I was trying to keep the discussion focused on the van. I do appreciate your concern for me, and I'm the kind of guy who is not opposed to receiving constructive advice. I am a little frustrated by the doctor's "wait and see" attitude. He seems to think that this may be an isolated event, but I am unnerved by what did happen and could have happened. My wife doesn't trust me to drive and that kinda hurts, as I consider myself to be a very good driver.(What guy doesn't?) I love to drive. From fast cars to tractors, trucks, and motorcycles, at night, bad weather, offroad or on the highway I am comfortable being the one behind the controls. I started learning to fly airplanes at one time, and was close to going that route as a profession. Just saying I take the role of vehicle operator as a serious responsibility. I feel I'm the kind of guy you want behind the wheel. I don't like the feeling of not being trusted in that capacity, even by myself. While I don't have a lot of money to throw at doctors and tests right now, I need to know if there is an answer to this problem, I know it could be fatal, and not just to myself if it happens behind the wheel. I don't want to steer this thread off topic, and have a moderator feel the need to move it, so can we agree to keep the conversation focused on fixing my van? I will definately let you know if the doctors figure out what happened.
Thanks again guys, Mike :cheers: