Lifting your 2WD astro/safari

FROM FIBERGLASS MONOLEAFS TO AIR BAGS, STOCK HEIGHT TO BODY SLAMMED, EVERYTHING EXCEPT LIFTS GO HERE.

Topic author
Someone
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Lifting your 2WD astro/safari

Post by Someone »

Installation of 5” lift kit on 95 RWD Chevy Astro Contributed By BLAZER

The following description is of the removal of the stock suspension and the installation of a 5” lift kit which is composed of heavy duty 3” front lift springs, 2” body blocks, 3” rear lift shackle, 2” axle blocks, and new shocks. I used some parts I received from Overlandvans.com, Summit Racing, and some I had, but I recommend buying the complete kit from Overland vans to simplify things.
The instructions will be broken down into three sections, body lift, front springs, and the rear lift.
This install was completed on a 95 Astro RWD, but the body lift and front spring install will also blanket 85-2005 astro/safaris, the rear spring lift will blanket 95&up vans with the leaf springs.

Installation of 2” body blocks:

1. Always make safety first, make sure rear tires are blocked, engaging emergency brake is a good idea.
2. Start by removing/loosening following pieces….
A. Remove upper section of fan shroud. Some people say to trim bottom of shroud, but I will explain how to use spacers in later step. Remove 3 bolts across front radiator support and the 4 bolts on the middle of shroud. With some persuasion, the upper section can be lifted up and out of van ( air cleaner assembly will need to be removed)
B. Make sure shifter is in park and loosen bolt clamp on the shifter linkage. This will be re-adjusted in later step.
C. Remove grill, 4 bolts across the top, couple bolts in the middle and bottom pops off.
D. Remove front bumper cover, 4 bolts in center, 4 bolts under front fender, and the two support brackets holding this on, lay cover to side for later install.
E. Remove the emergency brake cable bracket from under body (near tranny cross member) save bolts for later.
3. You will now proceed in installing the lift body blocks ( hockey pucks) by first loosening all the
Body bolts, but leaving them in place (front/rear take 18mm, center takes 21mm).
4. Now you can remove all bolts on one side of van while other side is lose. Use a floor jack with a
long 2x4 under the body under door area and carefully jack up van off of the stock body bushing and continue until there is enough room to slide the new 2” blocks in between bushings and body. Start the bolts up through blocks and into body, leaving them lose for now, just get them started.
Note: the center blocks use larger diameter bolts and have larger holes.
The front may prevent a problem in alignment until other side is in place and level, then you can go back and re-jack up the first side and get it realigned. (Note, this is my install method, I have talked to people who have done front to back which may allow for easier alignment. Just make sure at least some bolts are left in as not to lose the alignment of the sub frame with the body.)
Once all body blocks are in place and all bolts are started, you can tighten them all down to factory specs. (I personally just tighten them to basically as tight as I could).
5. Once the blocks are in place, you can now adjust the shifter lever. With the bolt being lose, push
The rod up and then tighten the clamp bolt. This should put the shifter in the correct position. If not, you may have to loosen and check the shifter indicator on the dash and then adjust and re-tighten.
6. Next is to re-install the emergency brake bracket. You can get a new bracket from Overland vans, but I modified mine to work. First jack up the transmission at tail shaft and loosen center mount nut. Then remove the 4 bolts holding the cross member in place. This will allow for you to slide the e-brake cable up and over the cross member and remove some stress on the cable the blocks created. Once the cable is on top, the cross member and tranny can all be replaced and tightened. Now the cable must be stretched and slide out of the slip joint. Once that is done, squeeze the three metal prongs together on the bracket and remove bracket form cable. Drill a hole same size as bottom hole 1 ¾” up and then re-install bracket on cable, cable in slip joint and then bolt bracket back to body. Check to make sure e-brake functions properly. If new brackets were bought from Overlands, follow their directions.
7. The fan shroud will now be modified using some 2 ½ bolts with nuts and some 2” spacers. I used some steel water/gas pipe and cut them to 2”, PVC water line may also work, just make sure the pipe is just big enough to fit over bolts. There will be 4 speed clip s in the bottom section which needs removed so the bolts will go through holes. Carefully place bolts through holes, while also placing flat washers on both top and bottom of spacers. This prevents spacers from pushing through plastic. Then tighten nuts on bolts and the shroud will know have a two inch space between upper/lower section. This may take two people, preferably with small hands to place nuts on bolts and holding everything all together. Lower shroud sits lower and out of its hold down slots, but I have had no problems with rub or it hanging loose. The air intake box may now sit higher and the hose may not line up correctly. I had and aftermarket K&N air intake so I just re-adjusted mine.
8. Final step is to replace the front bumper cover. The main bracket in front is basically raised to next hole and bolt placed on each side. I made a 1 ½”x 8” flat bracket and drill three holes in it which aligned with to hole in bumper bracket and lower hole in frame. Not sure how much better it will work, but at least it will give some support for the bumper. If new bumper brackets were bought from Overlands, follow their directions.

Installation of Overland’s front 3” Heavy duty lift coil springs:

1. If tires and e-brake are not sill used from body lift, make sure rear tires are blocked and e-brake is
Engaged.
2. Begin by jacking up and removing front tires (I did one side at a time). After tires are removed,
Place jack stands under sub frame under the door section. I also kept a floor jack under the center cross member for safety.
3. You will need to remove the brake caliper and wire them up and out of the way. Make sure they just don’t hang, that can damage the hoses.
4. You can now being to take things apart. First order of business is to remove old shocks. You can get to the top bolt by pushing wheel well flap back, but it was easier to remove nut from upper ball joint ( this has to come lose anyway) and push upper control arm up and back . The ABS cable will have to be removed from its clips that run along the top of the arm. Get a drill and drill out the rivets. If done properly, the clips will stay on the arm and the cable will be able to be put back in them on reassembly. Remove cotter pin, then loosen the nut, but leave on by a few threads. Them take a hammer and hit the spindle housing where the ball joint goes through. After a few whacks, the arm should pop up and you can finish removing nut. Once you have the upper arm lose, you can see the top shock bolt/nut. There is a special tool that makes this removal easier, but an open end wrench and vise grips can work also. I ended up using a 4 ½” angle grinder with a metal cutoff blade and cut the nut/bolt off. Just be careful not to cut into the arm or frame area. Once you get that lose, you can remove the lower bolts form the lower arm, 13mm socket will do the trick. Once that is lose, you can wiggle the shock down and out. Keep the lower bolts; you will need for new shocks.
5. Now the stabilizer bar needs disconnected. This will take a wrench and socket. All that needs to be done is the nut removed and the bushings taken off. This will allow the bar to be free. This would also be a good time to install need links while our in there if so desired.
6. Next, the old stock spring will need to come out. Since the upper arm is already apart, this is just a matter of pushing the lower control arm and spindle/brake rotor down and getting spring out. This may take some persuasion with a crowbar, mine actually came out fairly easy. Once this is out, you can clean all the dirt buildup from the spring pockets. Now on to the most fun part……
7. Install of new lift springs…these are some bad boys!!!! I Express EXTREME CAUTION at this step, these springs need to be compressed and are very dangerous. These springs have to compressed some to get them in. I rented and inside spring compressor from Autozone and compressed my springs with an air hammer. Be very careful with these as there is a lot of compressed energy just waiting to get lose and hurt someone. Once these are compressed they can be installed into the spring pockets. There is only one way to install, the flat goes to the top, the open coil goes on bottom with the end of the coil being placed between the two small holes in the spring pocket, this gives proper alignment. The stock springs came with a rubber isolator on top, I tried to re-install, but they wouldn’t stay on so I left them off, no problems since. This was the worst step of the entire lift to try to get spring in the pocket and back in. I ended up placing a small jack under the control arm and putting some pressure on it while trying to pry spring into the pocket. This took some finesse and a lot of prying and jacking, I still don’t know I got them in, but I did. The last one actually had the spring compressor let lose just as it slipped into place…..That’s what I meant by extreme caution, I could have had a broken leg or something if it would have come out instead of in. I would recommend having a professional install these for you if you have any reservations about this step. Once they are in and seated, you can begin putting everything back together in reverse order. I also recommend before reconnecting the upper arm, remove the upper rubber bump stop from the arm and cut it down some. I used two screwdrivers to pry it out from the top and then took it to the bench and used a cut off tool in my angle grinder cut approx ½- ¾” off of it. Cutting of the bump stop allows the top control arm to come down enough to get ball joint back into hole and re-attached. Then I replaced and continued with replacement of all parts in reverse order; upper control arm/ball joint, stabilizer bar, brakes, ABS cable, shocks, and then tires. Make sure everything is tight and steering works correctly.

Installation of 2” rear axle blocks, rear add a leaf, and shocks:

1. As in the other steps, make sure vehicle is in park and front wheels blocked. Jack up rear of van, remove rear tires, and place jack stand under rear frame right in front of rear springs. I left jack under differential and placed another jack stand under my trailer receiver for extra safety (if you have one).
2. Begin by removing the rear shocks, saving both the top and lower bolts and nuts as they will be re-used on the new shocks; discard old shocks will be needed with lift.
3. Now begin removing Ubolts and bolt/nut assemblies that hold axle to leaf springs. The jack under the axle will be need to lower the axle once lose from springs. Once the bolts are off, you can then lower axle and proceed to either placement of either axle block or extra leaf.
A. The rear axle lift block can be purchased at your local auto shop or through Overlands. I used a 2” block and had to get new ½” Ubolts as the supplied ones were too long for my astro. Once the old Ubolts are lose, you can lower jack and separate the axle from springs. I removed the rubber pad and placed the new block in between the axle and springs. The center hole may need enlarged slightly to fit over the leaf spring center pin. Once in place, raise jack and get axle/block back in place. Then the new Ubolts can be put in place and finger tighten on top plate. The inner bolts will need replaced as they will now be too short. Place the lower bracket on a work bench or place in vise and pound out the old bolts. The are tack welded in place so some force may be required. Once they are out, replace with some new grade 8, 3” bolts. I also bought some ½” black iron pipe and cut to 2” to use as a spacer between the upper and lower brackets. Once you get all the assembly together, you can then tighten all bolts to specs (I just torqued everything down pretty tight).
B. The other choice is using Overland’s add a leaf (use their instructions if included) which also requires the Ubolt/inner bolts to be remove and the axle to be separated from axle. The spring retaining clamps on each end must then be bend open so springs can be separated; this can be done with crowbar/large pry bar. After that is done, the center pin can be removed to allow the separation of springs either by unbolting or using cut off tool. Place a large C clamp on spring near center to prevent spring from flying apart once center pin is removed. Slowly remove clamp to allow springs to separate. Now place the add a leaf spring in its proper place (follow Overlands instruction). NOTE: I used a leaf spring out of a K5 blazer as my add a leaf. I had to cut the ends down some and it was just slightly wider, but worked fine and I placed it directly under the top spring. This gave me about an inch extra lift and slightly more carrying capacity.
Once you get your leaf in place, use the c clamp to compress the pac so you can put the new longer center pin back in. Once that is in and tight, replace the Ubolts/inner bolts and bracket and tighten everything back up. You then will need a large c clamp (6”) to squeeze the spring retaining clips back together.
4. Now that you have either your blocks in or leafs, the new shocks can be installed. I chose the recommended Rancho shocks form Overlands’ website. There will be supplied steel bushing which need to be place inside the poly bushings in the shocks. You can then replaced the factory bolts/nuts and tighten. These need to be fairly tight or you will get a banging noise when hitting bumps, but not too tight as to crush the poly bushing. If you do get a banging after install, just retighten nuts. Replace the wheels and you should be ready to go.

Hopefully, these instructions will cover the complete install of the lift kit on a rear wheel drive astro/safari.
Remember after install it is important to have van properly aligned at a tires store. I had problems with too much positive camber and my alignment guy recommended I order some offset upper control arm inner shafts to correct. He stated he could place shims in there to get proper alignment, but he was afraid that it would make van too unsafe to drive. As of this writing, shafts are ordered and will be installed. I also recommend after a week or two of driving to go back over every nut/bolt and check tightness as things may work lose as they settle in.
09/20/06: UPDATE, upper offset control arm shafts were installed and alignment was set perfect, they were definitely the trick I needed.

Marty Sackenheim
“BLAZER”
Contact at;
http://www.astrosafari.animegrafx.com
blazercdr@yahoo.com

2wd Astro w/5" Lift

Front body Lift

Rear Shackles
Coils (new and old)
Last edited by Someone on Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
'98 Mercedes E300 Turbo Diesel
'89 4Runner SAS'ed, 38.5SX's, Mercedes OM617 Turbo Diesel
'98 Suburban K2500, Cummins 24Valve, 5spd 4x4
'03 VW Jetta TDI
'78 Vette 350 4spd

www.vehiclefleetsolutions.ca

Astronut
I am merely driving my van

Post by Astronut »

Hey Blazer,
Great piece on the lift. =D> Just want to know how long are the front lift srings in compareision to the originals, and what type, and how long are the new front shocks? 8-[
02 GMC Safari SLT AWD
Journey 3" lift, Rancho 5000
03 GMC Safari SLE AWD
Stock Road Master Pro.

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

Sorry astronut, been a while since I've been out here.
The lift springs are maybe an inch longer, but they are almost 1000# spring rate vs the stock of around 600 I think, They were almost impossible to compress i.e. giving the lift when installed where as the stockers can compress down a good 4 inches or so. Not sure the length of the shocks, I got the numbers off the overlands website and then bought them from Summit racing, they are Rancho 5000's.

Astronut

Post by Astronut »

Hey Blazer,
=D> thanks for the reply. I lifted my 94 EXT 2WD about 5". I went ahead and jupped in to the project and put spring lift spacers on top and bottom of the springs with new shocks up front. The back I just put a second set of cabon fiber leaf springs. Over all, I got the result I wanted with both lift and another 1000lbs of hauling capacity. \:D/
Last edited by Astronut on Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
02 GMC Safari SLT AWD
Journey 3" lift, Rancho 5000
03 GMC Safari SLE AWD
Stock Road Master Pro.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Astronut, can you put up some pic's of how you did this lift? sounds like you used some alternative methods that would interesting to look at,thanks

k120189
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by k120189 »

well lets see how this goes....im looking at lift blocks...and subframe spacers....both seem like a cheap and easy way to fit some bigger tires on the van....im aiming for 5-5.5 for now and eventualy i will do some actualy sus. lift with leafs and spindles....but my question is...one how high can i lift the van off the subframe....and two what diameter is the axle and how wide of a block should i be looking for...thanks in advanced

--->2000 RWD 4.3L/4L60E ,3.43 gears.exhaust and throttle body mods.
...gone =(...

-->1998 kia sportage 3 inch lift 30 inch tires under repairs

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

k120189 wrote:well lets see how this goes....im looking at lift blocks...and subframe spacers....both seem like a cheap and easy way to fit some bigger tires on the van....im aiming for 5-5.5 for now and eventualy i will do some actualy sus. lift with leafs and spindles....but my question is...one how high can i lift the van off the subframe....and two what diameter is the axle and how wide of a block should i be looking for...thanks in advanced
I wouldn't use the subframe spacers (basically body lift blocks) for more than 2" as this is a well-tested amount. Remember, the taller the blocks, the longer the bolts have to be and then you start running into issues there. And if you keep it to 2", you won't have steering shaft issues.

But the sky is the limit if you go with weld-in steel blocks made of heavy duty pipe with a top plate . Lockdoc and Petey on this site have both done it. This allows you to reuse the factory (short) bolts as you will enlarge the factory holes in the subframe so you can reach up through and cinch the bolt against the top plate welded on the top of the pipe.

Practically speaking, you will still want to keep it in the 3"-5" range. This will entail lengthening the steering shaft too, and you may run into issues with wiring, hoses, etc, etc, basically anything that connects between the body and subframe and doesn't have enough slack to compensate for the lift.

In my opinion, the weld in blocks are the only way to go. The 2" subframe lift sold by Overland is well proven, but I like the idea of keeping a more factory-like connection. This means using the GM engineered factory bolts.

Good luck with you lift and post pics here!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

GEJ
I plan to be buried in my van

Re:

Post by GEJ »

mdmead wrote:
k120189 wrote:well lets see how this goes....im looking at lift blocks...and subframe spacers....both seem like a cheap and easy way to fit some bigger tires on the van....im aiming for 5-5.5 for now and eventualy i will do some actualy sus. lift with leafs and spindles....but my question is...one how high can i lift the van off the subframe....and two what diameter is the axle and how wide of a block should i be looking for...thanks in advanced
I wouldn't use the subframe spacers (basically body lift blocks) for more than 2" as this is a well-tested amount. Remember, the taller the blocks, the longer the bolts have to be and then you start running into issues there. And if you keep it to 2", you won't have steering shaft issues.

But the sky is the limit if you go with weld-in steel blocks made of heavy duty pipe with a top plate . Lockdoc and Petey on this site have both done it. This allows you to reuse the factory (short) bolts as you will enlarge the factory holes in the subframe so you can reach up through and cinch the bolt against the top plate welded on the top of the pipe.

Practically speaking, you will still want to keep it in the 3"-5" range. This will entail lengthening the steering shaft too, and you may run into issues with wiring, hoses, etc, etc, basically anything that connects between the body and subframe and doesn't have enough slack to compensate for the lift.

In my opinion, the weld in blocks are the only way to go. The 2" subframe lift sold by Overland is well proven, but I like the idea of keeping a more factory-like connection. This means using the GM engineered factory bolts.

Good luck with you lift and post pics here!

Well I am going to read Blazer's post completely. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: Maybe twice-LOL.

I find it interesting the fact of using factory bolts and welded tubes for anything over a 2" lift.I have emailed overlandvans about their 3" lift kit which is what I want to do with Ole Yellar during my V8 swap.I plan to drop the sub frame to do the swap anyways.

The primary use for this van is for towing my vendor trailer at highway speeds.Because the lift changes the cg on the van,it does concern my somewhat and wanted and input from you all about that.I am lifting it for larger tires for towing and mpg.

How does the triming of the fan shroud effect cooling once you have already cut it for the V8 conversion?.I plan on using the A/C on this van with a tranny cooler,so extra fans are somewhat limited on a 1985 Astro.

Got to go to bed for work now.Might need to ask more questions as you good folks post.The main thing I want out of this van is that everything I do shows how well thought out the mods I have done.Kind of a tuff spot to to be in wanted to mod it and still building it as a work van for my business.

Thanks for your posts,

Gary
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
12'dual axle enclosed trailer
The vendor trailer

Lead with my heart & take the hits because of it like a man.

GEJ

Re: Lifting your 2WD astro/safari

Post by GEJ »

Well Dan from Overland got back to me and told me he dropped the 3" kit.He said it had too many variables from model to model with longer water necks ,air boxes,wiring.Said he had the blocks and bolts which he would sell to me and the e-brake bracket.Told me I could work out these issues if I like myself.I thought I would pass this info along to you all.Yeah,I guess I could install the heavy duty front springs,but then I would have to have the ruff ride all the time.
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

BLAZER
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by BLAZER »

if you want the 3" kit, get either the 3" frame block kit for the front or get the 2" blocks along with the 1 1/2" front springs and then lift the rear to match with shackles/blocks/add a leaves. After using the HD3" front springs, I wished I would have went that route. Even after the first couple months of teeth jarring, when they finally settled in some, it was still a pretty rough ride. I used my stock ebrake bracket, just remove cable, and drilled a new hole up 2".

GEJ

Post by GEJ »

Dan said lifts like 3" require longer water necks.I have read here before that a lift like a 3" required long steering shafts,but even 5" lifts I don't remember reading about about longer water necks.I guess I just thought there was enough flex in the hoses.Could you guys explain what you did about this issue?.Thanks,Gary
Call me Gary

1985 Astro-"Ole Yellar"
1994 LT Astro
1981 Winnebago-"Baby"
The vendor trailer

JoeJITSU
I am smitten with my van

Post by JoeJITSU »

Every shop here wants at least $1000 because of the bodylift with the pucks. They say they have to gut the inside and get to some bolts. I noticed on the tutorial that you don't do that. Is this pretty safe?

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Pretty easy stuff Joe.

This is one of the best write ups I've seen on the subject.

Hope it helps, Jim

http://www.chevroletforum.com/forum/sho ... hp?t=25553

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Jim, You always come up with the best links for us.

Where ya been Bud?
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

He vanished. Not answering PM or email. Not posting in the other forum. Too bad, he was a good guy.