Customizing my Front End - New Lights and Grille

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Customizing my Front End - New Lights and Grille

Post by doyoulikeithere »

97CargoCrawler wrote:I think it might be too bright to pass as a low beam. :supz:
I'm just curious... What are the laws in California, regarding headlight power? In BC were allowed 55/60 (55 watts lo, 60 watts hi). With all the rainy nights I drive through in the dark, I can't help but notice there are lots & lots of people either with illegally bright bulbs, or the laws aren't really relevant anymore because a 55 watt light is now ten times more powerful than when the law was written. Anyways, I find the super bright bulbs are a big danger especially on dark rainy highways. I'm sure they help people see, but they absolutely blind the oncoming people they are pointed at (if you care about that). Illegally bright lights seem selfish & inconsiderate to me, but thats just my opinion, and everybody has one.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

hey crawler you said you wanted to open the turn signal assembly to paint it right, take a look at this video.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imIiglkq ... =fvwp&NR=1 and then go to video four on instructions on how to close it again.. hope it helps...
Last edited by unrreal on Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Very interesting! Let's see if I can work up the nerve to throw my new housings in the oven! I can see that they used hot glue to secure the diffraction lenses.....I suspect the whole thing might come apart if I heat it up.

Thank you for posting something helpful!

:cheers:

unrreal
I get chills without my van.

Post by unrreal »

no they wont fall out with the silicone just check all 4 vids is actually very cool..
99 astro awd ls package, 3" bodylift, alarm system w/remote start, tinted windows, tranny cooler, modded air intake, bigger power steering cooler, hood struts, westin pushbar, hypertech tuned running on 91 octane, Hypertech 160* thermostat, 1 ton calipers and pads (not much of a difference as i expected)30" tall tires 245-65-17 on jeep wheels
here is a link to my pics: http://s795.photobucket.com/home/unrreal/allalbums

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Has anyone done a dual composite headlight mod? I'm seriously considering ditching these crappy turn signal housings and just fabbing up dual composites with the turn signal on the outermost, driving lights in the center and fog for the inner. I'd have all four on at the same time: three driving and a fog. That would be intense. I think I would divide them in the center like the Chevy grille. I'd have to chop the sides off my new grille and fab up a strip to go between the housings....probably perforated steel so I can get a decent amount of air flowing past them.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Makes me think of this: :muhaha:

Actually it would probably look good since it really wouldn't have an extra composite housing. I also think it would be way too bright. You'll just blind the other drivers especially when raining out.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Properly aimed and designed lighting systems do not blind other drivers (PERIOD).

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Haha! I would be proud to drive that pavement princess too.

I won't have any inclination as to the brightness until I have the lights mounted. I like the dual idea because I can aim both sets. The turn signal housing that I had planned to install a fog light in could not be aimed. The projector housing can also be easily disassembled for mods unlike the turn signal.

The only thing I don't like about the idea is losing the Amber lens. I can easily remove the lens and paint the inside Amber but I don't think it would look good to have a really bright orange light cast in front of the van.

Im going to take some measurements later today and maybe do a photochop mockup to see what it would look like.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

More pix for anyone who cares....

Both reflectors used with 8000K bulbs: (I'm having a hard time getting bulbs with perfectly matching color temps. I think it may have something to do with the ballasts not matching in output as well)

Both reflectors used, one with 8000k bulb and on with 3000K bulb: (If I go with dual headlight housings this is the config for the bottom unit)

I figured there would be a little bit of a green cast where the two meet:

Overall it's a pretty full pattern with both reflectors illuminated:

The cutoff is completely lost with the inner 9005 reflector used simultaneously. Makes sense since there is no restrictor plate inside the housing for that side. I'm guessing this reflector is intended for HIGH beam only considering it fills in the space right above where the 9006 cuts off. Perhaps that's common knowledge for those of you who have composites already...I don't know since I only have experience with sealed beams.

I did a quick and dirty photochop for dual housings and I like how it looks. However, I have a set of KC 6"x9" driving lights and PIAA 520 crystal ions on the way (like those in my sig photo) so I'm not sure I want to bother with the extra fab work for duals. In fact I'm considering these for the turn signal now:

At this point I'm thinking I could have put all this money towards a down payment on a Ford E-350 Super Duty. Oh no no no [-X you know you want one too. The black grille on their new vans gives me a serious boner. :muhaha:
Last edited by 97CargoCrawler on Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

I care, and Thanks for the pix...

Now where are the photoshops of the possible dual headlights mod. I wanna see too.

A Ford??? Nothing wrong with that or them. I mean they have to be worthy, after all they are still being produced and sold. Unlike our vans though while nice, are not worthy of further production.

Thanks again, Jim

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Oh man! #-o I was hoping nobody would have read that closely. The photochoped pic looks like poo since I spent like 2 minutes on it. I will clean it up and post it later since you're actually interested. Thanks for following the thread!

I did just buy the alternate blackened turn signal. If those are crap too then I'll have to seriously consider the dual setup. Or buy some OEM signals. This aftermarket stuff is junk.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

I say if they turn out to be crap, then just hit them with that amber paint...

Here is a link to a lil site/info that I like to revisit from time to time.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/

Jim

PS You don't have to post up yer photoshop.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I bought Cibie lights for my cruiser from Mr. Stern. That guy is knowledgeable but way too bent on DOT specs. which is funny considering he sells stuff that doesn't always comply (like my european H4 Cibies with selective yellow glass filters). He'd shit a brick and send me an email 30 pages long if he saw this thread! Really good info on his site though. I'll post up the photofaux's as soon as I can.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Dual Headlight photochops as promised: (I forgot to take the headlight pic with the angel eyes and side ambers on....but you get the idea!)

Last edited by 97CargoCrawler on Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Well, You are a Man of your word...

Now back to the drawing board.