Homebrew Con-Ferr Style Porthole Roof Rack Build

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Homebrew Con-Ferr Style Porthole Roof Rack Build

Post by H2OJoe »

Nice job Crawler! :cheers: Happy New Year!
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Oh yeah, no drive thru's ever. No underground parking for me. I trim a lot of trees lately. However.....I follow people after they pull out of the drive thru's and suck the bag right out through their moonroof with my van-vac. Free food. Underground parking is available to anyone who gets in my way. Thump thump...ooops. And I'll bill you'all for the tree grooming services.

I love my van. There are a few drawbacks though. Like being able to see truck stop tricks paying for a lift. :-s :vom:

Happy New Year!

:cheers:

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Just an update since I've now had the 90lb. rack floor in place for about 6 weeks:

Everything is awesome! Still no squeaks or rattles and I can no longer hear rain pounding on the roof (no headliner cargo van). I've driven in some real nasty winds and there is no adverse effects. Braking is not an issue with the large bore 3500 calipers and 11" drums in the rear. Overall the ride is quite pleasant. As far as handling goes the extra weight has had no noticeable effect on the drive. I'm still whipping around corners and driving it like its a racecar. I even have a 200+lb. winch and cradle hanging off the front.

It's difficult to determine which items decreased my mpg's the most (33" tires, 4.10 gears, rack, winch, etc.) but I now average 12mpg on my daily commute mix of highway, street and hill driving. That's down from 16mpg before my most recent lift and rack addition. I expect that to drop a bit more once I add about 250lbs. worth of bumper and spare tire to the rear. This van is my DD and those numbers don't bother me because I LOVE driving my van now. Traffic parts for me and I get a lot of envious looks as I pass lifted F-350's and Tundra's. Enjoying the drive in rush hour LA traffic is priceless.

I see a lot more roof racks than I used to.....looking down on everyone now. I just giggle at the crap I see on these "expedition" vehicles. :D

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Yepper,
you've done some nice work CC and have good reason to be proud of it. I had my doubts about the affect that rack would have on handling and such but I'm glad the suspension upgrades were enough to compensate.
I'll bet you'll need to keep spare idler arms now though!

So what's the next step, 4WD?
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi,
I had the Rack and Road folks install rails (72 inch ) long and got Thule cross bars for my solar panel on rear cross bars , and Yakima space case basket on front aero bars which is secured with square U bolts and nylon lock nuts.
AP
Attachments
image.jpg

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Nice rack!

I'm still LOVING mine, even added a tent. Here's a few configs of the tent:

Please excuse my front end. Its apart for upgrades, one of which was ridiculed on this forum....DUAL HEADLIGHTS.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I love that you have your own deck up there! That's awesome! :supz:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

A Safari tent on a Safari van...sweet!

Who would bug you about wanting more light??

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Aren't we still waiting for a write-up on those mirrors?...
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

That is super nice roof rack. How did you route the +12 VDC and grond wires to connect the roof mounted lights?

I want to mount some roof lights but may get LED s so i can use thinner wires for the lower cuurent required by LEDs

AP

Topic author
97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Thank you. Back on page 12 you can see the bulkhead feeds I made to get the wires from the PVC conduit into the cabin. I have LED spotlights all around with incandescent up front and center. Equivalent high power long range LED lights are pretty expensive. I'm still building the interior junction boxes and control console. All of my fuse blocks and switch panels are from Blue Sea Systems. Expensive stuff but top quality. I imagine I will be updating this post once the interior wiring is finally done. It will be a while, its a huge mess. You will notice that I ran ground wires to each lamp instead of grounding to the rack. I did that to prevent corrosion at the ground point which would slowly crawl into the wiring. Instead the harness is completely contained in the conduit and sealed at each exit with liquid tight cord grips. Wires exit the conduit through a silicone tube that goes through the cord grip into the lamp housing. The wiring is not exposed anywhere outside the van to protect from UV damage. Every lamp is grounded inside the cabin. It was a lot more work but it's gonna last a really, really long time.

I installed a 300A alternator a few months back and now I'm routing all the juice. Here's the beginning of that:

:muhaha:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Very good ideas. I can get Blue Sea electrical parts at West Marine. My previous project van was a Chevy G20 full size 1994 window van. I had lots of electrical in that for interior camping mods, including electric water pump for sink, extra lights, dual BAT, with isolator ,etc.
I love my astro and plan to do some elect. Updates too.
Your van is an awesome DD and research lab on wheels for you to design and fabricate really neat ideas. Thank you for great photos and text write ups.
AP

Astrophysics
I sleep in my van

Post by Astrophysics »

Hi, for flat wiring of small AWG you can route thru side window. I did this for wire from 15 watt solar panel.
AP
Attachments
image.jpg

crazyvanman
I get chills without my van.

Post by crazyvanman »

Wow glad i stumbled onto this build. Apparently great minds think alike. I took my roof rack off to remove some roof rust; and my brother n law accidentally (supposedly) hauled it off to the recycler. But when i saw your post, i pulled out the old drawings i had made for the replacement rack; and except for the port holes and over all dimensions, it is almost the same rack. I am using aluminum in place of the flat steel you made the port holes from And i am having a neighbor with a CNC plasma cutter do vertical cuts in them. And since i have no way to weld aluminum i am using threaded inserts with torx head screws to attach them to upper and lower rails. Since i carry a lot up there I probably should invest in a welder that i can do aluminum with; and make it all aluminum as i am really trying to cut down weight everywhere i can.
I have several air tight/dust proof plastic containers that allow me to place 8 in the 108"x 50"x 8" rack and still allow me to close the solar panels down on it. I am also looking at some aluminum slats i found 4" and 6" (i think) that i may just attach to the roof as a base and just use the rack and solar panels to corral everything.
Nice build man. And also nice posts on the build. Has made me get the itch to get back on my build now. =D> :peep:
91 Astro EXT; never liked GM till i stumbled into this van. Free just for dragging it out of a field. Ran like a scalded cat, had 53K miles and completely rusted out brake lines. Been all over North America, lots of fire roads and no roads; fully loaded and towing constantly. Average 21 mpg. I recently (by accident) found out she now has 265,886.4 miles without so much as a tuneup, and only 1 oil change. And still no leaks. MAN I LOVE THIS VAN !

!994 Safari AWD