MK-II 700R4 (home brew tools as well)

ANYTHING RELATED TO MANUAL OR AUTO TRANSMISSIONS GOES HERE.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

MK-II 700R4 (home brew tools as well)

Post by Mr_Roboto »

OK, I built my last 700R4 in my heap and am not happy about a few things in it. Notably the fact it leaks like a sieve. The plan is as follows:

-Build a brand new core (1991 model 700R4, V8 Caprice unit) up with the existing valve body and other parts
-Use a minimal amount of store purchased tools including expensive specialty tools. Anything will be built that is required.
-Outsource a minimal amount of the job. This will likely be the pump busing and the rear case bushing installation. Last time it was ~$20 for this.
-Clean and reuse the original VB and separator from my old 700R4 as it has the 9C1 shift valve (140mph capable) as well as the Transgo HD kit in it

I have the parts kit already from Ebay end cost was about $170. This included a HP clutch pack (Z-pak) 'vette servo, .5 boost valve and a Beast Sun Shell. I will not be using the servo or the boost valve as mine already has both of these parts. The only thing else I would normally add to this is a Transgo kit, but I already have one in mine so we are ready to rock. Anything else is going to be hard parts, but my core looked healthy so this should be very minimal.

I sort of bludgeoned my way through my last build, so I'm doing this to correct a lot of "learning fixes" as well as have a transmission that's not flaring horribly in 3/4 gear like this one is. If I was hack I'd be tempted just to pull the 3-4 pack, put a new one in and flush the trans.

Since I've said all that, lets start out with some tools. This is a basic clutch press. It starts out life as a 2" wide section of 4" pipe. I take it and saw it in half. The next step is to drill a hole in it, then smash it a bit. After adding a piece of ready rod and a piece of rectangular box steel to it, we have our first tool. This is what will be used to compress the return springs to allow removal and installation of the piston.
Attachments
IMG_20111214_002152.jpg
IMG_20111213_231749.jpg

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: MK-II 700R4 (home brew tools as well)

Post by 1Gary »

Good you started this thread.I thought you where going to a 80.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Re: MK-II 700R4 (home brew tools as well)

Post by Mr_Roboto »

I am. I want to build a good working 700R4 though so I have something to drive around on while I'm doing R&D for the controller, not only that but I can sell a working trans for more than just a pile of parts is worth. The other thing is that I can have a nice trans to stick in my stash and use later if I get another project car. Spare powertrain parts are handy.