Matt's New Shop

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Matt's New Shop

Post by mdmead »

Cobra wrote:the tax credits and rebate are great for the solar market and have help reduce the prices of components considerably. I've just finished a solar training course and plan to install solar sooner or later. Net metering is looking like the way to go here in ontario just like your system. Did they add any battery backup to the system? when they come back ask them what happens when the grid goes down? how many kilowatts is the system i didn't see you say.
Yes, I'm grid tied and will have no power if we lose power. I'd like to have a battery system, but that adds cost and complexity, especially to a grid-tied system. Talking to the electrician, he says Yakima County would make be build a special room ("explosive proof", but I'm not exactly sure of their definition) for the batteries as well. Batteries also require maintenance, and I know I'm lazy, so I'm not sure how that would work out. I'm going to be keeping an eye on the Tesla Power Wall and similar technology and that may be a way to go in the future. My goal would be to totally disconnect from the grid... but I can't do that until the system is paid for using all the available credits.

The system is an 18,720 watt system with a yearly KWH production estimated at 27,893.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!