Door alignment

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Door alignment

Post by MountainManJoe »

I think my passenger door is sagging. It's getting difficult to open, and the latch is grinding on the stud (see photo). If I open the door, grab the bottom of it, and pull up on it, it closes properly for a while. Does this mean the hinges are wearing out? If so, any suggestions what to get? The dealer wants too much money for door pins.
Attachments
doorpost.jpg
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Munken
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Door alignment

Post by Munken »

Have you checked the pins in the hinges?

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

No I haven't. Does that require disassembly?

Munken

Post by Munken »

Nopp. just open the door and look the hinge at the same time that you lifting the door a little. Then you can see if the pins are worn or the holes in the hinge.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I have had to replace the bronze bushings and pins before. I got mine at the dealer but I would think Rockauto or any auto parts store would have them.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

I got mine at O'Reily's.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

Yes,,you will have to remove the door unless you're really good at it. Hopefully the wear hasn't egg shaped the hole where your new bushings will go.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

Munken

Post by Munken »

To replace the bronze bushings and pins you will have to remove the door. You can replace them with the door on, but it is really really tight, and it is a great risk of damage something while working.
You check them with the door on.

blacknome
I sleep in my van

Post by blacknome »

Likely you just need to replace the bushings and pins. Grab the bottom end of the door and lift it it, if the door rocks then the bushings are shot. I did mine on the van a couple years back, got the pins and bushings from GM as they were pretty cheap.
Changing them wasn't actually too hard as I did it by myself and ended up strapping the door to one of the forks on the forklift ( but you could use straps to tie it up to a beam/treebranch/balcony ect.. ). The thread on the subject is listed below. Any time you remove the doors you must put multiple layers of painters tape then duct tape over that because you will end up banging the edges of the door when de/re installing and end up chipping the paint otherwise

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2585

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's a great topic. Thanks.

What is the special tool everyone is talking about? It looks like it would be difficult to get in there with the spring compressors I've seen.
Couldn't you avoid elaborate door hanging schemes by just supporting it from the bottom and doing one pin at a time?

Rebel
Location: Evergreen, Al. 96 mile marker, where life is slow and there are no rules.

Post by Rebel »

If I remember correctly...you'll have to take the spring out which isn't that hard to do. Just wrap a rag around it and pop it out with a screwdriver. Do not, repeat,,do not just pop it out without making sure it is secure in every way and I've found a rag works well at keeping it from flying across the room or hitting you in the head. Putting it back in is another deal. We'll see how it goes getting it out.
89 Astro, 350 V-8, Shaved doors, Filled Slider, Corvette IRS, 94 Mustang GT Rack & Pinion(Thanks to Skip), Cad Tail lights from SoCalliV8 ( RIP) Miss you my friend.

VIDEO

If you drive illegally, they take your driver's license. If you're here illegally, they want to give you one :)

If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I used some vice grips, a 1/4 x 6 inch socket extension, a flat prybar, and a BFH as the "Special" tools.
Worked just fine. if your lifted, Set a chair beside the door to rest it on while it's un-pinned.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

:-k
So I just called GM, and they don't sell the bushings. They sell the pins only, or the entire hinge. Prices as follows:

Pin (#12338015): $8.85 each.
Upper hinge (#15536614): $60.00
Lower hinge (#15536616): $50.25

EDIT: OK I phoned around to local part dealers and the best price is just 5 mins down the road from me (Coquitlam Auto Parts Plus for those in the region). $5.50 for a kit containing 2 pins + 4 bushings. GM is out to lunch.
(Dorman part# 703-263)
http://www.dormanproducts.com/p-28808-703-263.aspx

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Good Work. GM is out to lunch!!
Is that store at the top of the hill near north road, I think I used to shop there...

I wanted to replace 2 of the small plastic button assemblies that hold the pop out windows. I wanted 2 screws, 2 plastic washers, and 2 buttons. So, I sheepishly ventured into the domain of the stealership, that I so carefully avoid at all cost. Of course they had none, but would be happy to order me a bag of each, minimum. Screws 2.25 each (10 per bag) Plastic Washers, 4.75 each (10 per bag) Buttons 5.25 each (10 per bag) some rough quick math, and I'm looking at... GM - out to lunch!! Plus, didnt they get a huge tax dollar bailout a while back?!?! #-o
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

doyoulikeithere wrote:Is that store at the top of the hill near north road, I think I used to shop there...
Yep. Corner of North Rd & Como Lake Ave. I've purchased quite a few things there. Customer service is really good.

That's right, GM was bailed out. Did you know they make most of their profit from (probably risky) loans?