Audio upgrade

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Re: Audio upgrade

Post by krsowles »

Personal preference I believe. I know some people will listen to different brands for hours in sound rooms trying to get it right. My buddy has a very expensive system in his truck, all done professionally, and I think my stock 4 speaker system in my Ford dump sounds better. He would like to disagree! :rolleyes: I like the pioneer stuff, not saying they are the best but I seem drawn to them. My stuff sounds good (and sometimes loud) to me! :supz: :muhaha: I would stay with name brand stuff and not the cheapest and I'm sure you will do great. Kelly
:cheers:

PS, Every one loves 3-ways!
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

The passive three ways don't really have as good a slope as a active three ways.You want to over power the speakers abit and then use a compressor/limiter.Clean output from the amps is a sure way to limit distortion.Anytime a sine wave hits something it adds alittle distortion too.So the speaker box design,how it loads the speaker, and it's use at what hz's is important.The environment is as all you know is a area that much can be done to improve how it sounds.Many systems sound from the outside like a buzz box.It's a cheap fix to insulate vans from the escaping sound where systems not very powerful can sound tons better.I'm not a rapper listener.I am a rocker for sure that enjoys deep bass sounds along with full range clear upper range sweetness.Not really loud,but just deep sounding. :guitar:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

krsowles

Post by krsowles »

Ya, what he said!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is an active three-way? Is that a powered speaker with built-in amp?

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Timeless, I just replaced my stereo with a Pioneer I got from wallyworld for $85. It is a decent unit, 50 watts x 4, w/4 speakers and sounds great.
Another thing I really like about it is the USB and AUX inputs in front. I plug in a flash drive and it reads the files, my filenames,,. The USB is powered as well so you can plug in a GPS or charge your phone.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Pioneer-DXT-2 ... r/17242512
I already had good speakers so now I have 4 spares =D>
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That looks like a great deal, woodbutcher, but I already have a pretty sweet deck. It's more so the speakers I'm after. According to Kelly, I might not need an amp, but we'll see. I can always add one later.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

The four in that kit would turn the trick for you, the 6 1/2" round 2 way in the front door and the 6"x9" 3 way in the rear.
I used similar speakers in my van when I put the first deck in 5 1/2" round in front but I got cheap Radioshack bookshelf speakers that were rated for 100 watts @4 ohms. I had no place to mount them w/o cabinets. You'll pay $85 for speakers separately and save the deck for a spare.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

krsowles

Post by krsowles »

Seems like a pretty good deal. You say it sounds good, huh? Not that we have had to do any plowing this year but my old 2003 f250 needs an upgrade and that looks like it will fit the bill! Thanks for the heads up, Kelly
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

I haven't tried them at all so I can't say how they will sound so here is the info on the speakers-
6 x9 - model # TS-695P co-axial 3way (I don't get it)
230 w max, 30 w nominal 4 ohms

6 1/2 round - model # TS-165 co-axial 2 way
200 w max 25 w nominal 4 ohms

I googled both but for the TS-165 I found a set sold for $60 and others on fleabay
http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=114570

the fleabay link are the same speakers in the set,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-6-5-spe ... 0972930621
the screw mounting holes are 5-1/2" OC for the 6-1/2 round, might help to find what you need to fit your van.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I did some research to find out what (max) sizes I need ...

Front doors: 6.75"
Rear pillars: 4x6" (or 4" round using brackets)
Rear barn doors: 6.75"

A pair of 6.5" speakers go for about 50 bucks.
http://www.visions.ca/catalogue/categor ... sku=FKB116

krsowles

Post by krsowles »

Timeless, I forgot to mention when I did my van the back pillar speakers, they were 4x6 pioneers not 4" round. They fit in fine and factory covers went right back on.
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD

trevcda
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by trevcda »

I know I'm replying to a year old thread, but this seem as good a place as any to post this. I'd recently replaced my factory head unit with a after-market Kenwood, because I wanted Sirius satellite radio and Bluetooth integration for my road trips. Along with those two things built into the head unit I also got the added bonus of high and low crossovers for the built in amps and the subwoofer, which is two tens in a sealed box. The crossovers really help clean up the front and rear speakers. But I didn't realize how much. I've got a 98 Safari with the eight speaker package, by the way.

So flash forward to today, I had a couple of component sets from JBL and Infinity with separate mid-woofers and tweeters that I wanted to install to trying and improve my front stage speakers. Mostly by getting the tweeters up on the side mirror bolt covers but also using improved passive crossovers. I always try to do a "mock" installation before finalizing anything and used scotch locks on the wiring (reversible to factory) on the 6.5" drivers and some velcro to place the tweeters in the new locations and fired it up. Wow. Completely under-whelmed. Not that it was bad. It's just that it wasn't a huge improvement. I tried both sets and verified polarity on each. The factory speakers just aren't that bad. Had I wanted to bi-amp each side and go with a larger outboard amp and re EQ them, I'm sure I could have made huge improvements, but that's just not where I wanted to go with this vehicle. The biggest improvement was the crossovers and multi-band EQ in the deck itself. So I put the factory speakers back and packaged the aftermarkets up for another day. Just thought I'd add my experience to the mix.