Positive camber solutions?

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: Positive camber solutions?

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Ahhh, I see how it works.

If that bolt is already able to turn 360* within the confines of the bracket and frame then making the elongated hole wider isn't going to help at all. You'll need to cut off the bracket and weld in a spacer, then use a bolt with a larger offset flange.

I assume the bolt does not rotate 360* if the mechanic suggested grinding it bigger?

That bolt looks like it could not possibly be more offset.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

It's actually a washer with a square hole, not a flange. To bring the camber back to vertical after lifting, you want to move the upper control arm away from centre (hmm... or was it towards?), therefore I think the mechanic meant he should grind the bolt hole longer towards the outside (inside?) to get that extra range. I'm not 100% certain, but littlevanman's van (say that 10x fast) may use shims instead of eccentric washers, in which case he would just need to add more, or thicker ones.

Topic author
littlevanman
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by littlevanman »

Timelessblessing has got the general idea. As far as posting pic's I guess I am just getting used to how this site works, I'll figure it out eventually. My problem is definatley positive camber and I do have those bolts and washers not shims. I might have time to get the wheels off this weekend and have a closer look at my options. I will let you know how it goes. thanks for the interest fella's.
Attachments
tn.jpg
tn.jpg (3.24 KiB) Viewed 3060 times

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

It looks like you posted a thumbnail rather than the full pic.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

well now, this would have been handy to have seen before I mounted my new ball joints under the control arm. Definitely way out of camber now! So now, put em' back on top or pay to align? Littlevan, you still out there? Did you find someone to align yours? I'm guessing the knockouts have to be removed.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710