Coolant leak - Drivers side, top corner of intake / head

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

Topic author
infinite.chris
I get chills without my van.

Re: Coolant leak - Drivers side, top corner of intake / head

Post by infinite.chris »

astrozam wrote:I've got a how to for the 95 somewhere here on the forum, plus several others have documented bits and pieces of a intake gasket replacement, I'm running late for work but will try to post the link up when i can
after going through your post on here, I just don't know how far I want to get into this, or if I just want to have it done by a shop. It does seem to be a bit much for a newbie such as I. Good news is, we have the housing, fan, belt, and idler pulley off. Almost got the alt off last night but didn't have enough daylight left.
[SCRUFFY 95 RWD Astro Cargo :: 227k ]

------------------------------------------------

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Did you find my post?

Job was done over two days I believe, its def something you can do if you take your time, label everything, take some pics for reference. Be careful when you pull the intake that you don't get any dirt and crap into the intake/exhaust ports or lifter valley.

Topic author
infinite.chris

Post by infinite.chris »

astrozam wrote:Did you find my post?

Job was done over two days I believe, its def something you can do if you take your time, label everything, take some pics for reference. Be careful when you pull the intake that you don't get any dirt and crap into the intake/exhaust ports or lifter valley.
I did find your thread, the take apart that I was referencing before now is a pos, it's for a truck v6 and there's enough different that it not really useful.

Wasn't aware I had to have the doghouse off the back, but it doesn't look too bad after that. I'm mainly curious if there's anything else we need to pull from front end? (you pulled a/c, not sure if I need to atm?)

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

My A.C no longer worked so it made the job easier just getting rid of it altogether.

I had to pull my Distributor, so that can only be done from the inside ( doghouse out ) make sure to match mark it, and note how it rotates as you remove it. Having the doghouse off also makes it easier to place the intake back on because you can have one person in the van and one outside carefully lowering it back on, you have to be really careful as you don't want to have your gaskets shift on you, just take your time and you should be fine.

Topic author
infinite.chris

Post by infinite.chris »

*BUMP*

Finally got around to wrenching on her. Working 40 hours a week plus drive time really saps what little time I get to wrench :[

found a bit of oil. looks about like the inside of your CPI, astrozam.

Going to have to sit on it for a couple days until I can get my friend over to help and figure out what the skinny is.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo (1).JPG

v8famvan
I sleep in my van

Post by v8famvan »

That looks about normal for that vehicle. Small puddles of oil in there is what happens. Nothing there looks alarming to me & I have done plenty of them.
James from B.C.
1992 Safari - R.I.P.
GM Grand Master Techncian

Topic author
infinite.chris

Post by infinite.chris »

v8famvan wrote:That looks about normal for that vehicle. Small puddles of oil in there is what happens. Nothing there looks alarming to me & I have done plenty of them.
Sweet deal! I was kind of taken aback seeing the drivers side looking like it got dowced in oil.

Hoping to have it down to the head gasket by this weekend. From what I remember, Chilton and Haynes manuals don't really cover head gasket stuff. Little bit of torque specs but that was it. Grr.

Topic author
infinite.chris

Post by infinite.chris »

GOOD NEWS!

It's not the head. Or at least, the best I can tell it is't. Finally got around to pulling the dipstick, and it was DARK. Not milky at all ^^

I think I also found a name for 'er. Scruffy XD

BAD NEWS!

What they used to seal the lower manifold to the head?

Silicone sealer. ](*,)

Seriously. Who goes that cheap / retarded on something. Below is a chunk from it. So the rest of this week? I get to dip the upper and lower manifold in gear cleaner or gasoline (haven't figured out which yet) and scrub and reassemble. Hopefully she's running before Saturday night ^^
Attachments
photo (3).JPG