Getting a strange bump on the road

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Getting a strange bump on the road

Post by chesehd »

So this past weekend I've been rolling with the wifey and kids, picking up some pallets in the back of the 'stro. We're almost home, rolling along at about 55 on a back road when if feels like we hit a dip in the road. Neat thing about it was that there was no dip in the road.

I slowed down and tried to listen for a new grind, whine or shriek but I wasn't making any new noises and neither was the van. Picked the speed back up to 55 and the mystery bump returned.

I babied it the last 5 miles home and all was well, so far.

Tonight, I got the van on the ramps and crawled underneath. The U-joints are looking ok...nothing worn in an uneven fashion, no play in the shaft. I turned my head to look at the pumpkin as I was down there and saw that the bottom 1.5-2" of the diff looked disturbingly wet. No rain in days around here and the rest of the van was dry.

I popped the plug out and stuck my pinky down there...no oil. So now I'm feeling a bit queasy.

I won't be able to pull the cover off the diff this weekend but when I do...what should I be looking for? The last time I experienced this mysterious bump in the rear-end (no jokes here, please) the spider gear decided to grenade on me. Scared the you-know-what right out of me while rolling in town. I'm praying that the box isn't ruined but fear the worst.

Ok...rant over. What should I be looking for? I've replaced an upper intake manifold gasket, axle bearing gasket and other miscellaneous odds and ends but not really ever dug into the pumpkin before. I'm capable...just not experienced.

Thanks in advance,
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Getting a strange bump on the road

Post by MountainManJoe »

A missing gear tooth?

When you feel the dip, does the van actually move vertically, or does it stumble/buck? Could it could be misfiring?

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Until you pull the cover and check for chunks, not much you can do. If you find chunks, see where they came from. If it's the spiders, you can replace them pretty easily. If it's the ring or pinion, you got a little more work ahead.

Since your van is AWD, check the front diff too for fluid level.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

A great writeup with pix, can be found here.

http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.ph ... a9cc781391

Hope it helps, Jim

Topic author
chesehd
I get chills without my van.

Post by chesehd »

Ok, so I pulled the cover off the pumpkin this evening.

I'm guessing that it was only about 1/2 full of oil, but not exactly sure.

I didn't see any metal fragments in the bottom. Sorry, no pics but my phone is my camera and the fancy screen doesn't like that oil on there.

I caught the oil and checked, no fragments in there either. There wasn't even any significant chunks of anything on the magnet, either.

So now I can't see anything directly wrong but I have a gut feeling that is where the problem lies. Am I going to have to put the rear on stands and pull the diff out? It's on a set of ramps now.

Ken
Ken

2003 AWD
Back in the saddle on a new horse!

A lot of money is tainted: 'Taint yours, and 'taint mine.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Jack it up so the wheels are off the ground. Make sure you place jack stands underneath. Now you want to place the trans in N and spin the driveshaft over. You want to see all the spider gears and the full rotation of the pinion and ring gear. If you don't see any missing pieces, your problem lies elsewhere. Replace the pinion seal, torque the pinion nut down to the preload it has before removing and then put the cover on with RTV and fill it up with oil. Before you reinstall the driveshaft, remove it completely and check the u-joints for play, noise and roughness.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

I want to add to Dean post you want to be sure you can get the filler plug out before you take it apart.With the rust factor,they can be a real issue.

If you choose,it doesn't hurt to put back on a rear cover with a rear cover filler plug.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY