Need new tires

HAVE A TIRE QUESTION? LIKE YOUR TIRES AND WANT TO LET EVERYONE KNOW? NEED TO KNOW IF THEY WILL FIT? POST IT HERE.

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Need new tires

Post by sfeaver »

I need new tires.. Now that summer tires are back on, and drove in a light rain I know i need to replace em..

My van came with 235/65/15 which they dont make anymore. My last set of tires I got BFG 245/60/15s but I think it is too wide a tire for a stock wheel. Feels too loose, steering feels terrible.

So what tires to people like in a 215/75/15 or even a 225/70/15. I'm looking for a good handling tire, my van will never be offroad, gravel driveway will be all it sees one in a while. Its RWD.

I'm looking for decent handling, but nice and quiet, and smooth for highway driving. I dont really care on price, I'd rather a decent tire than saving a few bucks..

THanks for any info,
Scott

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Need new tires

Post by astroturf »

Michelin LTX MS

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

You know what, I was already thinking of those ones! You like em? I have already added them to my tirerack shopping cart!

Thanks,
Scott

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

79 Jeep CJ5 32x11.5x15
01 Toyota 4Runner Stock Size
And now my 05 Astro 215/70 16 stock size.

They are one of the smoothest, longest lasting tires, I have ever owned.

Very nice road manners too.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

There a good tire, but a little on the soft side and wear a bit in hotter weather. Not what I'd consider a summer tire ( as far as longevity is concerned ) depending on how far you drive you may get a couple seasons out of them, heres a preliminary review I did...http://astrosafarivans.org/review/Miche ... chelin.htm...I did a follow up review a few yrs later, somewhere around here but cannot find it.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

Yes, I like the Michelins too. mine are AT, not MS, but still, they seem to last a long time and ride nicely.
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

How does it not last? Zam?

The LTX MS2 tires have a tread wear rating of 70,000 miles.

I'd go even further and say that I will get 70,000 out of the 50,000 mile first gen LTX MS that I currently have.

I would just point out than any tires do need regular rotations and air pressure checks.

Edit: Here is your follow up Zam...

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=3800&hilit=Michelin

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Jim...thanks for finding the link.

Couple things, I'm only basing my opinion on my driving with them. They are def a softer tire and softer tires will wear more in hotter weather. I'm not argueing that you won't get great mileage, just giving my opinion of them. If I was to ever buy them again I would be sure to take them off early spring and not put them back on till late fall and try to squeeze the most out of them that way. If the OP decides to get them thats cool, it will be interesting to hear Scott's review of them.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I am running Cooper Discoverer CTS in stock size on my van. They have around 12,000 miles and except for the uneven wear from a bad alignment, which is getting fixed Monday, they are wearing very well. Traction is pretty good and when the AWD kicks in traction is excellent. They seem to ride good and are quiet.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

I may have found a place that sells the OEM tire still... Waiting to hear back.

Topic author
sfeaver
I sleep in my van

Post by sfeaver »

Well they have the stock Eagle GA 235/65/15's.. So gotta decide. But I always remember the van driving nice with those tires. Although it was new then too hehe

donh97
I am merely driving my van

Post by donh97 »

Yep, me too. I need new tires & I plan for a 2" lift. My astro is an 02, bought it recently & am just getting the quirks & kinks worked out. Most urgent right now is a leaking around the top of the windshield. Back to tires. We have a need to go off road both in TX & CO on 4wd roads that are not too bad. Mostly steep w/ small rocks. Highway tires will even work & that's what I want. A good quiet highway ride because its 775 miles from our house in southwest Texas to our house trailer in south central COlorado. I'd like something taller but about stock width. I like the tires on the van pictured below. Don't know whose van this is but I like the stance. Anyone know what size these tires are, or would anyone venture a guess?

Love this forum. You guys & gals are great!!

Don
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
97 Safari AWD
02 Astro AWD

VanGoGo
I get chills without my van.

Post by VanGoGo »

Those look like the 16" rims for the '03 to '05 vans. I cant really say what tire size, but It does have a nice stance.
"BOYCOTT AUTOZONE!"

donh97

Post by donh97 »

Ooooh........you just taught me something! I didn't know any Astros came w/ 16s. Do you know if they're the same bolt pattern? Thanks for your reply.
97 Safari AWD
02 Astro AWD

donh97

Post by donh97 »

OK, I just looked closer & those pics show 6 bolts, thus, 16" I'll bet. And I just checked my 02 & it has 15s. Thanks for the help. Guess ill have to go for 225/70/15s.
97 Safari AWD
02 Astro AWD