My 305 TPI swap thread

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Re: My 305 TPI swap thread

Post by Mr_Roboto »

I saw the page you were looking at Gary, that's sort of how I figured out I was having issues in the first place.

The plan is going to be one of these:
[img]
http://static.summitracing.com/global/i ... 6792_w.jpg[/img]

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pro-6 ... MgodfmIAVw

Along with:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTg0WDUwMA==/$(KGrHqR,!iwE+37Mo7wCBQK+pE1e1Q~~60_1.JPG?set_id=8800005007

Maybe not that particular one, but it gives you the idea. That looks like it may be a 20 degree tab. As an added bonus by going to the 40 degree tab, the location of the timing light is WAY better which will make getting the light in the right spot easier. If I had a cam to shove in I'd probably throw all the stuff from the 4.3L on.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

After doing some work, putting a piece of timing tape on the balancer and ensuring I have the right combination of pointer and of balancer timing mark I'm convinced that my issues are due to the Cobra 39lb/hr injectors.

Todays purchases include gasket material to make gaskets for the plenum, some new lower intake gaskets because I got wary of using the Felpros a third time, material to extend vacuum lines, and lastly a tube of RTV to do up the China Wall with.

First, for anyone that's interested a set of Procomp fuel rails fit the HSR just fine. This came with a FPR stock, so I'm just going to use that and be fine with it. I've heard the Holley ones suck but it's the same style as a GN, Sy/Ty and a Myriad of 3.8L based FWD cars so I'm not concerned.

This is a pic after I yanked the TPI off. I stuck one of the 50s in the intake that I am using in the HSR, and above is a Cobra 39 I was using before. I had to dump a ton of fuel in at idle to keep this thing from stumbling, but the plugs always read rich. I suspect that based on the angles it was hitting the top and just dripping into the intake. These injectors supposedly have a super wide angle instead of shooting into the cylinder like a standard TPI style injector.

Two of the most important pics I'll take; this way I can stab the dizzy in right.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

PROGRESS, some what. I had to make gaskets, get everything lined up and do some more work on cleaning the engine. Here goes!

First off, I cut some holes in the material for the bolts. This way I could stick them through and locate everything.

After that, I took the end of my large hobby knife and rubbed the edges of the intake opening so I had an idea of where to cut.

I then cut the hole on the inside, stuck the plenum on the base and cut around it some. FAR from pretty, but it should seal and that is good enough for me. Beats $25 for some pretty Holley gaskets no one will ever see.

Base installed. I had a screwy setup for the pressure sender in the back I had to pull out and stick a standard 90 degree one back in for. Overall way happier with that. Less kludgy and it fits way better.

This is where stuff gets interesting/hairy. I have the Sy/Ty TB on the right, which the linkage flat out will not work using this intake. The one on the left is an LT-1 TB. I'm going to have to rewire for the smaller metripack connector and get a TPS for it. I think the IAC and housings will interchange over which is cool.

This is where I got to today, I used some Felpro 1205s for the intake gaskets. a bit of RTV in the corners at the water passages to help everything seal/hold the gaskets on, a bit more for the cork gaskets at the china wall and she was good to go. Not a lot, just a paper thin layer to keep stuff from shifting around and help sealing.

No pics yet by the way, but the stock return does appear like it will fit with some tweaking of the lines down below. I'm probably going to do an adapter for the -6 off the rail to go to the stock feed line as well.

LOTS of stuff to do including:
-Stab distributor in
-reconnect grounds
-modify vacuum lines for Megasqhirt and brake booster
-connect sensors
-set timing
-adjust calibration in ECU for 50s
-secure plenum fully
-reconfigure coolant outlet
-connect heater line
-refill coolant
-connect fuel line
-rebuild "EV1" style harness since I had EV6es on the TPI

-JY up a TPS and pigtail for the LT-1 throttle body
-get parts to connect fuel feed
-parts to connect radiator hose/heater hose?

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Okay, so I got some progress done. No real pics of it right now though:

The fuel system was actually WAY easier than I thought, I got a 6AN male adapter to 16mm Saginaw adapter for the fuel line, then used a 45 degree 6AN fitting to finish up the connection to the rail. Tweaked the stock line's bends a bit and put it on. I just used the stock return totally unmodified. I know I need to tweak it down below but everything looks like it's going to work fine.

I just pretty much used the stock lines for the coolant stuff, and stabbing the distributor in was a no drama proposition.

The Throttle body is causing me HUGE headaches right now. I have an LT-1 throttle body and it looks like it'll fit pretty much except the throttle cable is too short. I could go to an older style if I changed throttle cables again, or I can make a bracket to get the job done. Leaning towards this as I can make it where I can put a plate on this real easy if I want to later on. I was able to swap the old school IAC on to the LT-1 TB by changing the housing, and I have an adapter harness partly made up for the TPS.

Stuff left to do right now:

-reconnect grounds
-modify vacuum lines for Megasqhirt and brake booster
-connect sensors
-set timing
-adjust calibration in ECU for 50s
-refill coolant
-rebuild "EV1" style harness since I had EV6es on the TPI

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

No video or pics yet, but some progress. I said hell with the brake booster being reconnected for the moment, and decided to try and get things idling. I went to the JY today and got a set of 8 injector pigtails off a Jaguar V8 that seem really nice. I made a new injector harness, took it and my TPS adapter out, bolted the TB on and cranked her over. With the calibration set for 50s, I had the idle jump way up so I need to track that down even with a super low IAC count (0.) I suspect I missed a port that needs to be plugged since I changed throttle bodies. She seems to be a lot more responsive, but plug cuts are showing way fat still. I think it's going to be time to start pulling some fuel soon.

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

Keep the updates coming.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Well, figured out the high idle. The LT-1's IAC must be smaller or it must have more air flow than this engine or something as there's a hole in the front I can stick a #8 screw into. I had an older style one on there to simplify the electrical. I swapped an L98 one on, and will have to reinstall the original throttle cable. On the plus side if I have to I can drill a hole like this in the other one to allow me to increase the idle RPM if needed.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Threw a quick video up. New TB is on, without the hole in it and she pulls right down to 800 RPM. Fired right up in 40 degree weather too, I am definitely going to need some tuning but she seems to have a lot of the odd isuses sorted when free revving. No more just falling flat below 2K so I think we're going to be seeing some interesting stuff.

Left to do:
-reinstall old throttle cable
-modify vacuum lines for brake booster
-Shake down drive

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Bought this for my brake booster, fit perfectly. I only used half of it, the other half will get saved as a spare. It's a "jog" piece where it 90s one way, goes about 4 inches then jogs the other way.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6l98BAiWK4[/youtube]

Was told the video host sucked, so uploaded it to Youtube.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

I got the old throttle cable installed this morning, it appeared as if the position of the cruise control servo and throttle cable have swapped over the years. Thankfully it only took a touch of one of my porting carbides to fix that problem. I'm glad I'm the TPI plenum is little more than an over glorified jig for holding it as I grind on the bracket. I think I'm going to cut the flanges off a set of runners so I can make gaskets for these if I'm ever dumb enough to get another TPI system, and otherwise the rest of it's hitting the scrappers save the throttle body collection.

Now then, the other interesting thing is that the overall travel of this appears to be less than the original Rochester TBI unit installed. I think that the bracket on the stealth ram is weird for some reason, but I'll probably end up bending the gas pedal rod to make it so that floor=wide open throttle.

astrozam
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by astrozam »

Sweet :cheers:

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0MRerBYCTY[/youtube]

Shook her down today. Besides another camera i need to:

-investigate why the trans is "seeking." Suspect vss noise or the table reverted.
-pull plug cuts to check fuel.
-pull or add fuel depending on cuts.
-Reconnect alternator
-Automate efan
-timing?

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Haven't had a chance to change anything. Did get this pic though:

Based on what I'm seeing I am making the determinatin/educated guess/hypothesis:
-Fuel is fat all around
-Plug heat range looks correct
-Timing looks correct

Do these seem like fair assumptions?

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

OK, so a few things NOT to do while programming your MS. For some reason the acceleration enrichment was set 10X of default, and even then it was way too high. It's based off raw pulse width of the injectors so what that means is that if you happen to go from say 30s to say 50s it dumps in dramatically more fuel versus if you just had it be a percentage of the volumetric efficiency cells where changing the base injector size would in turn alter this calibration.

She was a bit hot coming out, hence the sleeve. As you can see I'm making progress however.