My 305 TPI swap thread

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

SafariRob
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by SafariRob »

Great stuff, Roboto. I just love seeing what others are doing; sure gets me in the mood for swinging a wrench on my van. I'm looking forward to more photos on your project.
=D>
Rob Shaver
1989 Astro 305 with an MSD 6A ignition and a dash-mounted MSD timing control, a 4160 Holley 465 cfm four barrel carb, and an HEI distributor.
Moog 625 front springs and Energy Suspension poly bushings. Rear OEM sway bar. Edelbrock shocks.

Jboy2
I sleep in my van

Post by Jboy2 »

Looks good. Any updates tho :-s

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Have got about 10-15 minutes of runtime on it with the new cam, I put EOS in it when I started it and am hoping for the best on it. Have had a few setbacks, but am getting somewhere. I think my worse fears have been alleviated on this, but I still havn't drained the oil to check and probably won't till I get the engine management to cooperate (think I may still be running on a damaged box from the burn up) my wide band fixed (don't ask) I'll be pretty close to getting it in. I have to put a stud on the throttle body for a TBI cable too, but that shouldn't take too long. I did some drilling on the broken off bolt for the PS pump, thinking stud. Any thoughts on that?

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Not much, but a little video. No the motor's not about to shake it's self apart, the mic is maxed and it does that. Quite LOUD dare I say ;)http://mysite.verizon.net/thetriode/misc/engine.mov

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

LOLOLOL. You lit the engine up a a simple engine stand? Boy, your gonads are wayyyyy bigger than mine. Glad to see you got it running.
PS: Hope your epileptic seizures subside soon. Maybe you should ask someone who isn't a sufferer to film for you the next time? Whatcha thinks, huh? :yawinkle:
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Re: My 305 TPI swap thread

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Holy crap I can't believe I haven't replied to this thread since 2007! A lot has happened since then, but here's a few highlights.

-I made a passenger side accessory bracket that holds a smog pump complete with its own tensioner. I am using this as a crank case evacuation pump currently, which was my original intention. I may eventually swap over to a v-belt setup and ditch everything but the Water pump, alt and PS pump. At this point though it works so it's fine. What a pain in the neck to fabricate next time I think I'm going for a full set of accessory brackets.

-I got it running on the first engine and blew it up. After about 150 miles or so, I ended up having the engine spin every last single main bearing except the rear which was blued in color. I suspect I over revved it or the oil pump went out. not 100% by any means on either scenario. Short block was JUNK though.

-I had an L03 short block I got for $50, and a stock TPI cam (the good one) I got for $20. I combined the two into a new short block, and installed it promptly. I got it running.

-I have learned a lot about the process of tuning. putting the AFR to 13.5:1 instead of about 12.5:1 at WOT made a huge noticable difference in power. I need to get my timing readjusted and start working on that next.

-3 and 4 are going in the 700R4 again. I am working on building a new one, Need to contact Raybestos as kit was missing clutch pack. I got a new core and everything as to keep the transmission from leaking horribly like my last one did! I have a 4L80E here that is likely to go in as well, but probably not before the 700R4 does. It has a US Gear under drive so I am really excited about that. Will it be worth the extra weight? We will see.

-I am thinking about getting off my duff and flipping the axle. I haven't gotten that far yet either.

Overall quite a bit of progress, but it definitely needs some more work to get it 100%. I have taken it quite a few places this year from the scrap yard a couple times to picking up a core transmission to picking up birthday presents.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

TPI_base_2.jpg
This is going to be my new TPI base for my MK-III engine when it gets done. I am cutting holes in, removing the divider (maybe another step, not 100% sure yet) then epoxying or welding everything back together.
IMG_20110716_112554.jpg
One of the bearings out of my original 305. As you can see not good.
IMG_20110716_112536.jpg
The crank side didn't come out any better!
0409001552.jpg
This is the Megasquirt, a TBI adapter board and above is the Just Another Wideband (JAW) kit. This uses a Bosch LSU4.2 sensor.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Well, I found out that I had a bad ignition module. Autozone checked it as good which is funny. Put a spare I had in there, and it times out properly which it didn't do before (I thought it was a dead timing light) it also unlocks timing now as well. The difference it makes in power alone is huge. When the snow melts I'll get some pics, but it tries to go side ways in first and second gear now. I still have a ton of tuning work to do on it, but this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Long time no update. Got fed up with the 700R4s so I ended up swapping in a 4L80E. Now the problem is I need to figure out the controller in order to get it outa limp mode. I also found a few huge vacuum leaks (did you know there are a few vacuum lines under the throttle body? I didn't either.) so I have to recalibrate the ECU entirely to deal with it. It's looking like I am way low on fuel above 2200 RPM or so, just gotta get it added and get 4 gears working again on the 80. After that maybe I can drive it a little!

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Took the van out tonight, pulled a good bit of fuel out of the tune she's definitely running better. I got sideways during a test run around the block, and have not even come close to tuning it yet. The trans is still a bit finicky on shifting so I'm needing to fidgit with the settings some more. I'm thinking I want to change the table spacing and possibly the speed of which it engages the shift.

After more tuning, this it what's next. I'm planning on getting the Hurricane single plane and putting this on. It may not be in the current incarnation (I have a piece of 3/8 aluminum stock on the way) I also have a set of rails and a regulator that should get the job done.

Epoxied the shafts in on the 4150 baseplate. Had it laying around. Going to cut em off and should be good to go with a bit more trimming and an adapter on top. Also gives me some vacuum ports.

Sitting on carbed intake (Torker II) May just drill it and bung it. Debating if it's worth it or not for the $170 of a knockoff intake. Then again I think it may do better on the 305 with the smaller cross sectional area.

Last but not least, the Vortec 350 throttle body. Measures out to about a 3" throttle body plate. Should be more than adequate it's got more area than the stocker TPI throttle body, and probably good for a ton more power than I'll make.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Out with the old

In with the blue

Got rid of my piece of shit old injector harness (some connections weren't the best with the injectors, it has a history of giving me issues) as well as rectifying a coolant neck leak (they suck to access on these, the TPI intake is buried.

The old injectors are Buick Grand National 28.5lb/hr units, the new are Cobra 39s. I have heard mixed things on the idle with these, but I got a really nice idle overall. I was concerned about that, but so far I think it's some what of a myth knock on wood. I just threw em in, adjusted the constant in MS and she fired right up. I need a bit more work tuning wise, but it's not like I had it locked in anyways. Next step is getting the wide band running and getting that part of the tune done.

Right now I'm having some issues with the Megashift, I need to figure out why I'm getting about 10-15mph below where I should be at 30mph. It may be some tweaks. This is probably priority, after that is going to be getting the new Bosch Wide Band sensor installed and getting some serious tuning done.

peter
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by peter »

You've been a busy beaver. I'll give you this; you're as tenacious as a pitbull!

Good on you, Robo. =D>
"Just keep swimming..."
97' 4wd Safari
ZZ 502 Ramjet
4"L"80E/NP241C
Ford 9"

Kinky is using a feather.
Perverted is using the whole chicken.

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither
inclined nor determined to commit crimes".
- Thomas Jefferson

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

What's the latest status? Pics? Full details and mpg please. :poke:
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
Mr_Roboto
I sleep in my van

Post by Mr_Roboto »

Still working out gremlins unfortunately and probably will be for some time. When V8Astrocaptain did this swap with 3.73s in the back (305 TPI, mild cam ported heads) he netted ~23mpg highway if I remember correctly and the combo would have been good for ~275hp I'd think. Right now with my 4 month old it's not leaving me a ton of time to go do what I really need to (test drives) to fix issues.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Yep. Those 4 month olds can burn alot of fuel. Have a great weekend!
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.