Power Steering Question(s)

ANYTHING TO DO WITH STEERING, FROM STOCK TO RACK AND PINION UPGRADES

Topic author
michiganmobile
I am merely driving my van

Power Steering Question(s)

Post by michiganmobile »

I have a 1997 Safari Cargo Van and a 1999 Astro Cargo Van. I just changed the PS pump in the 97 Safari. The power steering and power brakes now do not work. I followed strict bleeding instructions on this site and attempted bleeding numerous times. The 97 Safari has power steering pump mounted GM EVO valve and adapter. The 99 Astro does not. The Safari maybe malfunctioning according to:

http://my.cardone.com/techdocs/PT%2020-0024.pdf

This may cause complete loss of power assist. My 1999 Astro does not have an EVO adapter on the pressure hose.

1. Should I retry another method of bleeding and what method should I use?
2. Should I swap the pressure hose (no EVO) with the 99 Astro? The 99 is a parts vehicle with a bad pump.
3. Any other suggestions.

Thank you in advance
David

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Power Steering Question(s)

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I would swap the HP hose from the 99 so you can rule out the EVO. When the EVO is out, check for small bits of debris in the orifices.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
michiganmobile

Post by michiganmobile »

Thank you for the reply.

Since my original post I was able to get the PS to work. The problem was one of the o-rings was in the wrong place on the EVO. That is the good news. The bad news is that after 10 minutes one of the new o-rings on the EVO gave out and all the PS fluid immediately leaked out. I am now considering removing the EVO out of the system and going with the PS pressure hose system from the 99. Has anyone been successful removing the EVO from their PS pressure hose?

Thanks in advance - David

Topic author
michiganmobile

Post by michiganmobile »

Update. I found a used pump at the junkyard on a 97 Astro cargo van for $40. There were no leaks on the pump anywhere (as of yet). I removed the pump and left the high pressure hose intact. I installed the pump on my 97 Safari cargo van and currently there are no leaks. I did speak with a tech at Cardone and was informed that the proper rebuilt pump has a "V1" at the end of the item number which would include an installed EVO valve (hopefully not leaking). At this point I will keep my fingers crossed that the used pump wont leak. The reservoir has some rust so I lightly coated it with grease. Sanding and painting could have made it worse.

My next project on the Safari is to replace a few rubber boots on the suspension components. Some of them are destroyed.

David