Post ball joint/tie rod end alignment question

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post ball joint/tie rod end alignment question

Post by Wiley »

Hi, could you guys let me know what you think here. I only need to drive about 1 mile to the alignment shop but wanted to make sure that this is just misaligned and nothing more serious. Replaced both upper/lower ball joints, inner/outer tie rod ends, and idler arms for each side of the van. The tie rods will throw the alignment off but I thought I did a good job measuring them. I also took the nut off the sway bar link on the passenger side only, which is the tire which seems way off (assuming that the sway bar link is whats in the pic below. I assume messing with the sway bar will not help me here. I put in the cotter pins foolishly...rookie mistake. Would it be ok to drive it as it is the short distance, or should I try playing with the tie rod ends again? I also found I had a pinhole in my passenger tie rod boot, can I drive it with it as full as it is, and replace the boot later? Thanks, That job sucked, and I hope I didn't make anything worse, it seemed to go relatively smooth, but I am nervous.

2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Post ball joint/tie rod end alignment question

Post by MountainManJoe »

I may not have understood your post 100% but here goes...

The swaybar has no effect on alignment. Drive the van around the block. That should tell you if you can take it to the shop. The boot will be fine, but if it bothers you, just clean it and put a dab of superglue on the hole.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Post ball joint/tie rod end alignment question

Post by Wiley »

Sweet, thanks man, you are full of good news today. The alignment shop is close enough where ill head over, just didn't want to damage anything.
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley