cheap(er) 2nd battery setup

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: cheap(er) 2nd battery setup

Post by photo_van »

Ya, I figure 12a/hr divided by the 1.5a draw should give me 6-8hrs on a full charge, but I sure hope not to be on it that long!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

Did you remember to convert? A typical laptop consumes 80-100W or 8A @ 12V. That's 1.5 hrs without taking into account losses and internal resistance of the battery. But try it and see.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Now that you mention it, I did have a battery once that had a sealed top with short vent "tubes" out of the side of the top lip.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I took another look at my ACDelco battery. (I should have taken pictures, sorry) It had little vent holes pointing out each side. I poked and pried all around the top with a screw driver, but the plastic just flexed and cracked. I'm convinced that it isn't meant to be opened. It's a 6-year battery and it's dated 2004. I don't think I'll get another winter out of it, but at least it surpassed it's product lifetime. (and I did abuse it somewhat)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I'm envious of you guys that know all of this electrical stuff. I'm just a nuts and bolts guy. After letting the smoke out of some devises I've decided to leave electicity alone. :muhaha:
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Smiliesafari wrote:I'm envious of you guys that know all of this electrical stuff. I'm just a nuts and bolts guy. After letting the smoke out of some devises I've decided to leave electicity alone. :muhaha:
Like the funny smell coming from the above project when as we tried to charge two laptops at the same time #-o I had a photo of the melted diode but can't find it. Fortunately, I didn't actually need the diode in the circuit afterall.... At least with 12 volt your not likely to kill yourself (though you may want to after you fry your wiring system). On the other hand, the time I crossed the hot legs of my 240 volt ac arc welder circuit.... :yikes:
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

I think I have electricity flowing through my veins, so it's no wonder my brain is a bit electrified. When i was little, I had a bad habit of sticking little screws that I found on the ground into places I shouldn't. This was in Europe where it's 220V. It must have stunned me good, cause grandma thought I was dead. Once, I tried cutting through a cord that was still plugged in. Oh yah, and there's the time I was washing the old man's van, and there was a cracked extension cord running right through the puddle I was standing in... Image

Oh well, we learn through our mistakes, right. :dunce:

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

update. I replaced the "Power Station" with a deep cell battery; needed more power to run the new fridge. The auto switching system has been working great.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710