DIY lift kit 2003 Safari

Topic author
Marktainium
I am merely driving my van

Re: DIY lift kit 2003 Safari

Post by Marktainium »

Here's my specs, 2" spacers and full preload, S10 3/1 leafs, measured at the centerline of the axles, fender lips.

stock tires, spacers/preload, new tires
Left Right Left Right Left Right

front 29 1/2, 28 7/8, 35, 34 1/2, 37, 36 1/2

rear 31 5/8, 31, 35, 35, 37, 37

(my driveway isn't very flat so these numbers may be off a bit)

krsowles
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by krsowles »

Very cool, keep it coming! :cheers:
Sometimes, I realize that I'm clueless...Man, I hate those moments!
"S.S. Dark HoMutt"

1999 Chevy Astro AWD
1991 Chevy Astro AWD(retired)

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

NICE! :supz: Makes me wanna do mine now! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

Now that the sub-frame is bolted back on it's time to do the parking brake bracket. It's allready removed from the last step and if you look at where it used to be you will see why you have to do this first.
So now you need to remove the cable from the bracket, drill a new hole about 1 inch higher than the old one, and re-assemble it. I used a 1/2 drill bit and then opened it up a bit more with a uni-bit. (step drill). To release the cable from the bracket I lubed it well of course, then used a pair of needle nose pliers.
Put one tip of the pliers in the hole in the metal bracket, and use the other tip above the cable end. squeeze the pliers and the cable should move towards the hole.
I also bent the retaining clip out of the way before trying this.

Remove the lower fan shroud if you haven't allready and trim off 1 1/2" from the radius almost all the way around. I stopped maybe an inch or so from where the 2 halves connect.
I had considered using a spacer between the 2 halves instead of trimming the shroud, but realized that would have made the other lower plastic rad support part not line up. This is a good place to check your water pumps weep hole for any tell tale signs and maybe change your serpentine belt. Re-install the rad shroud. You can re-install the air box and MAF at this point too.
I clocked the rubber hose a bit to one side to relieve some pressure from the rad shroud / air box. Be sure that your throttle cables and rad hoses are all happy as well.

Re- install the Grill and then the Bumper. This was a bit tricky by myself but I did manage it. On my back, using my feet... awkward. The great thing about this is that you just install the bumper with 2 bolts instead of 4.
Just lift the bumper up so that you are putting the bottom bumper bolt into the top subframe hole.
I left them loose until I had the bumper to fender bolts both in and then tightened. Lookin' good!!!

At this point I removed my torsion bar adjustment bolts, cleaned them and anti seized them.
I re-installed them and shamelessly bottomed them out. Full tight, let's see what happens!?!!

Install your turn signals and thats it for the front. YAY!

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

LiftedAWDAstro wrote:NICE! :supz: Makes me wanna do mine now! :muhaha:
:peep: Yeah Dean........it's just a matter of time before you.......... :yawinkle: :muhaha: :muhaha:
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's crazy. The front of your van, with the lift and stock size tires, is about 3 inches higher than mine, with lift and 30" tires. What was the diameter of your stock tires?

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

My stock tires are 225/70-16. I think the diameter is about 28" the new tires are around 31"

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Your new ones should be around 31 3/4" tall.

Your van is 3 yrs newer, so maybe my torsion bars are just sagged out. How much on your odometer?

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

165,000km

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Yeah, much younger. I've got nearly 250,000km.

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

Camping this weekend....

MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

You must be having some tire clearance issues .... :-k

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

It's really close but no contact. I did have to modify the lower fender flares a little.

inu

Post by inu »

Great looking van, great looking area. Of course I'm biased because I own the exact doppleganger of yours and live in BC as well...Our van (Astrid) spent May 2-4 up in the Bridge River Valley and came back via the Highline. Great vans for BC, they're a nice place to stay dry when you're in the backcountry!

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to capture all the details and post photos. That will help many in the future.
Over the last month I've been collecting parts to do the same thing as yours (including new S-10 springs), and have decided to try 225/75/16 E load tires.

Was looking for a bit of feedback on the following when you have the chance:

How does it ride with the lift relative to before?
Have you sorted the rear shock length out yet? I've got relatively new Bilsteins, I'm planning to move the rear lower mount up 3" and call it a day.
I picked up a transfer case awhile ago and am looking for the electronics (TCCM, wire harness, etc) Any tips on where you found your wiring harness(es) and what you ended up grabbing from the donor? (assuming you're in the Lower Mainland).

I look forward to posting the results on here in the next couple of weeks.

Rob

Topic author
Marktainium

Post by Marktainium »

inu wrote:Great looking van, great looking area. Of course I'm biased because I own the exact doppleganger of yours and live in BC as well...Our van (Astrid) spent May 2-4 up in the Bridge River Valley and came back via the Highline. Great vans for BC, they're a nice place to stay dry when you're in the backcountry!

Great write up, thanks for taking the time to capture all the details and post photos. That will help many in the future.
Over the last month I've been collecting parts to do the same thing as yours (including new S-10 springs), and have decided to try 225/75/16 E load tires.

Was looking for a bit of feedback on the following when you have the chance:

How does it ride with the lift relative to before?
Have you sorted the rear shock length out yet? I've got relatively new Bilsteins, I'm planning to move the rear lower mount up 3" and call it a day.
I picked up a transfer case awhile ago and am looking for the electronics (TCCM, wire harness, etc) Any tips on where you found your wiring harness(es) and what you ended up grabbing from the donor? (assuming you're in the Lower Mainland).

I look forward to posting the results on here in the next couple of weeks.

Rob
To answer your questions...

It seems to ride just fine from before to after. This being said I have only owned the van for a month or so, so it's all mew to me.

I think the relocated shock ends will work just fine. I used the original shocks in the original holes. When the axle was hanging, without shocks, it was not much lower than the fully extended length of the shocks. (Less than an inch). When the van was on its wheels the S10 leafs sagged enough for the shocks to hang past the holes by at least more than 2". I noticed that there are small holes above the stock location shock holes that look to be roughly 3" higher and I may use them for pilot holes for when I relocate my lower shock ends. The answer to your question, then, is keep the shocks, move them up, and even see if they will reach without modding.

I got all of my transfer case stuff, (except 2 harness ends), from a guy on craigslist. My parts are all from a 2005 S10 Blazer. I got the missing parts from ralphs on scott road in surrey. The dash switch should be easy to get, the harness ends as well. The tccm (transfer case control module) will be harder to come by. They are located behind the passenger side kick panel. I am going to make a detailed post on the transfer case swap and more importantly the wiring as soon as I do it. (with better pics this time)