LED interior lighting project

FROM HEADLINERS TO CARPETS, CUSTOM DASHES TO MOOD LIGHTING, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

LED interior lighting project

Post by MountainManJoe »

Here's a sneak peak of what I've been experimenting with ...

These will be the dome lights:
DSC02045.JPG
They are brighter than they look in this photo due to the exposure setting on the camera, but still not as bright as I had hoped (and they advertised).
DSC02041.JPG
Further testing and comparisons to come later.

This is what I wanted for the map lights:
DSC02052.JPG
This is a 5 Watt LED and it's stinkin' bright. I had purple spots in my vision just from working around it. The first time I powered it up (to about half capacity), it started to smoke, so I bolted it to that chunk of aluminum heatsink you see in the photo. Still, after a few minutes, the heatsink was too hot to touch with my bare hands (again limited to only 0.3A) , so I don't think I'm going to use it. I'll try the 1W and 3W versions and see if I can get the heat issues in check.
loupe.jpg
The light seemed a bit too spread out for a map light. I like how the OEM ones don't distract the driver. I grabbed my jewelers loupe and placed it in front of the LED ...
DSC02050.JPG
... and got a nice spot beam. It's a bit too focused though. There are many different kinds of collimators available for these bulbs on eBay, so it's just a matter of finding the right focal length.
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Sun May 20, 2012 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Re: LED interior lighting project

Post by MountainManJoe »

These eBay high power LEDs are a nice fit for the Astro's map light pods.
Attachments
DSC02054.JPG

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Alright, keepin' an eye on this.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

AquaAngel
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by AquaAngel »

I did the same thing in my van as the regular bulbs that lits the interior wasn't as bright.

So i bought the Squared board LED and used some RTV sealant to hold them on the original lens and they are really bright. Love it.

Keep on the good work
timelessbeing wrote:Here's a sneak peak of what I've been experimenting with ...

These will be the dome lights:
DSC02045.JPG
They are brighter than they look in this photo due to the exposure setting on the camera, but still not as bright as I had hoped (and they advertised).
DSC02041.JPG
Further testing and comparisons to come later.

This is what I wanted for the map lights:
DSC02052.JPG
This is a 5 Watt LED and it's stinkin' bright. I had purple spots in my vision just from working around it. The first time I powered it up (to about half capacity), it started to smoke, so I bolted it to that chunk of aluminum heatsink you see in the photo. Still, after a few minutes, the heatsink was too hot to touch with my bare hands (again limited to only 0.3A) , so I don't think I'm going to use it. I'll try the 1W and 3W versions and see if I can get the heat issues in check.
loupe.jpg
The light seemed a bit too spread out for a map light. I like how the OEM ones don't distract the driver. I grabbed my jewelers loupe and placed it in front of the LED ...
DSC02050.JPG
... and got a nice spot beam. It's a bit too focused though. There are many different kinds of collimators available for these bulbs on eBay, so it's just a matter of finding the right focal length.
93 Astro Van army blue [V8/350/5.7L]
------------

Chevy owned:
93 Astro cargo Van "Phantom Rebel"
98 GMC Safari AWD
09 GMC C5500 6.6L, Duramax "3 ton truck"

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Well I found out why my LED was overheating... Chinese eBay sellers trying to pull a fast one on me (again). They sent me a lower power LED, so I was basically overdriving (cooking) it. I came to this conclusion after I noticed the forward voltage didn't correspond to the (highly inaccurate) data sheet they sent me. I politely brought this to the sellers attention, so they offered to send me a replacement. Here they are side by side ...
comparison.JPG
As you can see, the 5W is much larger than whatever the other one is. It also runs much, much cooler.

Unfortunately, the replacement LED was defective ...
defect2.png
defect3.JPG
eBay is very cheap, but requires a lot of patience. Fortunately shipping from China seems to be extremely fast right now... about 9 days!

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Why not use a regular 168 type led plug in bulb? Inquiring minds want to know!
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

photo_van wrote:Why not use a regular 168 type led plug in bulb? Inquiring minds want to know!
X2

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Good question. What would you suggest? Got any links?

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

timelessbeing wrote:Good question. What would you suggest? Got any links?
Not specifically, that's why I'm watching you! :poke: When I googled 168 LED bulb I found about a million different options!

I thought I bookmarked the page, but someone on here somewhere posted a great link. The company actually had a search engine for the make and model vehicle and then select LED bulbs for replacements. It had astro dome and reading lamp replacements, as well as back-up lights etc. It was in one of our fairly recent discussions.....
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

Here it is superbrightleds.com They also list a lot of other 168 bulbs in many different light temperatures They are fairly expensive, but I only need two reading lamps.
Last edited by photo_van on Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Do you mean like these?

ImageImageImage

They are not nearly as bright as the OEM incandescent bulbs. I want something that is at least as bright, if not more.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

ya, something like that. Brighter is good. The bulbs I've seen are 9300 mcd (whatever that is). I'm not sure how that compares to the incandescent. Here's a 5w bulb http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newcomdigi-T15- ... 109wt_1165
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

Candela (cd) is a very deceptive way to indicate brightness, because it's a measurement of luminous intensity, which is power emitted in one particular direction. So of course manufacturers will list the peak value. As we all know, LEDs are very directional. A slight difference in angle could mean a significant drop in intensity. In short, the candela value does not account for total light output.

A better way to measure total brightness is luminous flux. It is the total perceived power of light emitted by a source. You'll notice I said "perceived", because it accounts for the sensitivity of the human eye to certain wavelengths of light. This will be important later on when I post my full write-up, and has to do with the Kruithof curve. The standard unit of luminous flux is alumen (lm).

It's actually measured in a chamber like this!

OK, physics lessons aside, the standard 168 automotive bulbs were roughly 3 candlepower (a now obsolete term actually based on a household candle, which is almost equivalent to a candela). Assuming it radiates uniformly in all directions, we multiply by 4π to get approx. 37 lm.

One thing to keep in mind when buying LEDs: sellers always exaggerate the specifications.

Topic author
MountainManJoe

Post by MountainManJoe »

That's a T15 which is a slightly different profile. It's almost twice as wide, and twice as long as a standard 168 bulb. That means you would have to remove the lens and the reflector to make it fit in the existing socket. If you look at the head-on pictures, there is a high power "bead" LED inside. In fact, if it really is 5W ,then it is the exact same LED as the one I featured in my posts. Only this one is packaged in a cylindrical heat sink instead of the disc shaped one on mine.

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

168 5 watt
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/43/ ... tt?ref=gmc

There seems to be a lot of them....

Just sayin'
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710