Power locks and keyless installation in a cargo van.

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
michiganmobile
I am merely driving my van

Power locks and keyless installation in a cargo van.

Post by michiganmobile »

I purchased a 1997 Safari cargo van. The sliding door and rear door was wired for power locks. The van also had the door lock control module and the door lock relay in the passenger kick panel. I went to the junkyard and harvested 4 actuators, rod brackets, both wiring harnesses for the front doors, key switches and a TRW 2 connector remote receiver with the pigtails. Everything bolted in and the locks work perfectly. I did the research and found the easiest way to add keyless entry other then an after market unit is to use a pre 1997 TRW receiver which were used in many GM vehicles. No BCM is required. This receiver is very easy to install and program. I pulled mine from a 1995 Camaro. I used 5 wires - lock, unlock, ground, power, and ignition. The remotes are the old style. But I dont care. The total cost of this entire project for everything is $100. I left the door wiring harnesses intact incase I want to install power mirrors or power windows. Next project is a kill switch.

Topic author
michiganmobile

Re: Power locks and keyless installation in a cargo van - UP

Post by michiganmobile »

UPDATE...

I connected the 20 second dome light wire on the TRW receiver so my dome light would go on when I unlocked the door remotely. I also connected the lock wire to the parking lights so they would flash when I locked the car. I connected the horn to the unlock wire but it was too loud so I disconnected it.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Power locks and keyless installation in a cargo van.

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Nice upgrade. Got any pics of the job for the next person?
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
michiganmobile

Post by michiganmobile »

Today I locked my keys in my van showing off my keyless entry. Hahah. I activated the side sliding door actuator by using a 12 volt battery, a pair of jumper cables, and 2 flat screwdrivers. Much cheaper then a locksmith or AAA.

David

EDIT: For directions on how to use these tools to get into your van PM michiganmobile.
Last edited by LiftedAWDAstro on Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: removed the possible theft directions

astroturf
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by astroturf »

Bookmarked...

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I edited the threads including removing the info on ways of breaking into our vans. I too carry insurance but due to the high number of claims across our sue-happy and sticky fingered country, our premiums go up every year for vehicles that are worth less and less! ](*,) I prefer to NOT having to use insurance it unless it's needed for an accident.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

astrozam

Post by astrozam »

Alrighty...This isn't a thread about Canada vs the U.S of A. neither is it about member bashing. The original info was good info but the rest of the crap that filtered in will be removed.

Edit: Thread closed.