Dutch door lift window stuck on dside?

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
fasteddy
I am merely driving my van

Dutch door lift window stuck on dside?

Post by fasteddy »

I searched, and not find it.

Worked fine forever. Today, tried to open the lift gate on the dutch doors (99awd LE) to get the ladder out. Pside releases, Dside does not. This is not good, as it's a work van and all the tools are back there...

Has pdl's. All unlock when you unlock rear lift gate, and when you do either front door button, but NOT when you unlock driver's door. Pfdoor lock does not work, nor does pdoor pw.

Rear lift gate is rusted out on pside lower seam, fwiw.

Can you access the electric latches from the inside with the liftgate closed? Without major metal hacking?

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Re: Dutch door lift window stuck on dside?

Post by CaptSquid »

I think I can decipher what you wrote, but just barely, because your writing is wrote rotten. Please try using fewer abbreviations.

Possible problems:
1. The linkage to the driver's side may have lost its clip and fell out.
2. The latch itself may be dry.

Possible solutions:
1. If the linkage has fallen apart, you can access the linkage from the inside. From the absolute rear seat, remove the pull handle from the hatch. This will allow you to remove the inside cover and gain access to the latches. Pull on the appropriate link.
2. If the latch itself is dry, try pushing in on the hatch as you press the actuating button. This should help release the latch.

Once you have the hatch open, spray lithium grease LIBERALLY over both latches and work it in.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
fasteddy

Post by fasteddy »

I am truly sorry. I keep trying to write as fast as I think.

In any case, you are a day late, but thank you anyway. I pulled out both ladders, all twelve (12) boxes of tools, 14 gallons of paint, about 3 miles of wire, a five gallon bucket of pool chlorine, and the dog bowls and bed, and was finally able to get to the inside door handle to take it off. The clips were there, just weak. The driver's side arm had fallen out of it's clip, probably because it got slammed so hard after the door fell on my head, again. Both connecting linkages are now firmly in place after a thermo-adjustment of the friction bushings for a tighter fit plus a yellow twine girdle linking arm to actuator.

I admit to laziness. I was attempting to find out if the inner covering was removable before I dug all my junk out past the second row seats. The long ladder was a bugger rat to get out...

trevcda

Post by trevcda »

Thank you, CaptSquid. I encountered this exact issue this weekend and your instructions had everything corrected in no time. It would have taken me much longer without them. Thanks!

Captn. Crunch
I sleep in my van

Post by Captn. Crunch »

Hey! This just happened to my 99 two days ago. Guess I know what I'll be doing after work-I love this site...From one Captain to another thanks for the fix
Captn. Crunch
"I don't beat my rig-I use it to it's maximum potential"
1994 Safari conversion (sold) and miss'n it!
1999 Safari SLE AWD junked
2003 GMC Safari AWD SLT
cast iron Torsen equipped front diff
S-10 leafs-G80 rear w/3.73’s
2” body lift w/Falken Wildpeak AT’s