Hot Smell

Radiator, thermostat, water pump, antifreeze, etc.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Hot Smell

Post by MountainManJoe »

jamesk6 wrote:I'm taking the dog house off tomorrow (weather permitting, it is currently rain pissing down in Fernie BC!)
The doghouse is INSIDE! [-X no excuses lol

But seriously, whether the fix is cheap or expensive, it's better to know, right? It's doesn't cost anything to pop the lid and look. Who knows it may be something trivial like a mouse nest in your air box (true story BTW).

Topic author
jamesk6
I am merely driving my van

Post by jamesk6 »

Took the dog house off, looks like coolant is leaking from the back of the intake gasket (end facing the rear of the car), ive put some photos up if you guys could have a look would be great. Don't know how good quality they are
Attachments
DSC01027.JPG
DSC01026.JPG
DSC01025.JPG
DSC01024.JPG

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

That is most likely your smell. The top photo shows coolant right by the valve cover. I would start planning to fix it before you go on a long trip. You would bate to have it blow out completely while on the trip. You'll then be stranded and paying a shop big bucks!
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

It's a very common failure. A lot of us have been there. Be glad it's leaking to the outside. Get busy.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
jamesk6

Post by jamesk6 »

Allright, just looking at ordering some fel pro gaskets

Two options:

MS95817
MS98002T

As far as i can tell the MS98002T is a better quality gasket and maybe includes a couple more parts?

Anyone know anymore of a difference?

and the best website to order it from (being sent to canada), currently on rockauto.com which seems the cheapest

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

I don't remember which brand I used. It was a top brand name as I never use the cheap stuff. FelPro and Victor are as good as you can get. For all of you youngsters, Victor is the new name for the old McCord Gasket Co. They were always a good product. Have fun. :muhaha:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

You want to place rags in the lifter valley to catch any junk while scraping off the old gasket.Be very sure to do not use 3m gasket cleaning discs.In fact it wouldn't hurt to have a shop vac to clean out the lifter valley.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
jamesk6

Post by jamesk6 »

Parts arrived today, going to do the job on sunday and monday which I have off work.

Does anyone have/know where to get pictures of engine bay/under doghouse that has parts labelled? some of the parts listed to remove I'm not actually sure what they are, eventually i would work it out but I'm trying to be prepared as possible for when I actually start.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

You're best friend will be a factory service manual. They can be found on EBay.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

FSM is a great book but you can get by with the Haynes... I did before I got the fsm or knew about the forums and my van is still running. [-o<

"Post here and ye shall be answered."

well,
maybe....

Just kidding, you shouldn't have any problems other than busted knuckes and a shortage of swear words. It's nice to have a second set of hands available when lifting the manifold out and more importantly back in. Masking tape and sharpies to lable things and a camera to jog the memory if you get stuck.
It took me two weekends to get mine done but I worked slow and careful as I had never been that deep in an engine myself.
Good wrenching!
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
jamesk6

Post by jamesk6 »

I havnt been that far in either! im pretty excited to get it done, good to finally get some car knowledge!

have two and a half days before i need it ready for work again... going to try and push hard on the first day so i can have the manifold in with the sealant setting, put everything back in the next day and the last half day to iron any things out/change oil and some other stuff.

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Cut the heads off of 4 bolts of the proper size and screw one in each end of the heads where the manifold sits. They will hold the gaskets in place and align the manifold when you replace it.

Topic author
jamesk6

Post by jamesk6 »

i need to roll the van into and out of the garage, if i have the transmission in neutral, while the manifold is off when i roll it will it change the position of the engine so the distributor will not match or will the engine remain in the same position?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Nothing will change. You will remove the distributor anyway. The gaskets you are replacing are under the lower manifold.

Topic author
jamesk6

Post by jamesk6 »

OK... new intake gasket in, waiting for the 24 hours to start her up, attached a photo, the gasket installed was a fel pro gasket, not metal backed, but obviously installed by a previous owner. It didnt look in too bad shape.. maybe it was torqued incorrectly or in the wrong place or maybe wasn't the problem at all.. although all evidence pointed towards it, with coolant looking like it was leaking from that region as shown in previous photos.

massive pain placing the manifold back correctly, took quite a while to get the process right
Attachments
DSC01057.JPG