well i guess my swap project will be sitting for a while.

ANYTHING TO DO WITH SWAPPING A V8 OR DIESEL INTO THE ASTRO/SAFARI

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

well i guess my swap project will be sitting for a while.

Post by markmitchinnh »

My last swap I used hedman headers and this one (because of California move) was stock truck manifolds and of course when I tried to get the manifold to y-pipe bolts out of the manifolds they broke so I tried to heat them and get the bolts out and they broke again, I tried to drill the pieces out and got no where so I am basically screwed till I can afford to buy new. I live in New Hampshire which is the rust belt so finding some in a salvage yard is not an option. I hate this part of the country!
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: well i guess my swap project will be sitting for a while

Post by Kidhauler »

You can run headers and still be legal. Wrap them in header tape to keep the heat in the pipe and just remount the O2 sensor so the pollution control and fuel injection still works. You. Ours always shoot socali a pm he would probably be able to answer any questions.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

doyoulikeithere
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by doyoulikeithere »

I'm trying to figure out how to get those busted studs outta my manifolds too.
Looks like a job for a box of new drill Bits !!
2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Blue.
2016 Yamaha XSR900 - Silver.
1990 Astro - AWD - Brown.
1987 Astro - With 5 Speed & 4wd - Silver & Blue.

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

If you drill it then drill right thru the busted bolt before trying a easyout. I broke a stud in my car and only drilled enough to put a easy out in. The easy out snapped and I couldn't get it out. Trust me there isn't a drill it lathe bit on the plant that will touch tool steel. I messed up the hole trying to drill the easyout and had to find a used manifold. Not easy on a 21 year old Mazda.

Also soak the heck out of it with a rust eating lubricant. I found some great stuff at napa called XXX it comes in a pink can.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Post by markmitchinnh »

I bought a set of used manifolds for a 1994 chevy truck but now I have to find a used Y pipe for the same truck and hope it fits inside the van. I am going to get the pipe tomorrow so wish me luck as most yards cut them when pulling the motor. The yard I am going to is a pick a part yard and they told me they have many trucks of the years applicable. They told me if I come take it out its 20 bucks. Mark
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012