95 Safari - fuel pump failed, plus more?

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
Karnaaj
I am merely driving my van

95 Safari - fuel pump failed, plus more?

Post by Karnaaj »

Welp, the '95 died back at the start of July at a stoplight - sputtered and stumbled, as if it was out of gas. Restart attempts got one fire and then it stayed dead. I noted at the time that the fuel pump had stopped whining (as it had ever since I bought it in Feb 2011), so that seemed the place to start. Test lead, no go. Out to the junkyard, pulled two pumps, one seemed weak, one was much better, so...

Hmm, still won't fire. Pressure test showed (ignition on, no start) a momentary jump to 70 or so, then it dropped to 60-ish while the pump was on. When it stopped, pressure immediately went to 58... and dropped slowly. (Down to 50 in under a minute. :( ) Cranking bounces the needle from 60 up to 70 and back, as I recall. (Had to return the test kit.) Obviously, something upstream is leaking.

There's no smell of gas, except where I manage to spill some. Starting fluid down the air intake doesn't work, but I'm doing this solo and have to spray, then get to the key, so... I've got a big blue spark off the center wire on the distributor when I checked, so it's not that.

Here's the real killer(s) - I am *not* really comfortable disassembling all the stuff on top of the engine to pull the plenum/upper manifold. (Referring to the "Chevy Astro CPI Fuel Injector Install" videos by local701 on Youtube - Part 1 here.) I also have no garage, and am fairly broke.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this further, before/instead of ripping bits off? The guy posting the video says it should take "one to two hours", but I suspect this will be longer for Greasy McFumbles here. If I can get this sucker running again, I'll be overjoyed at not having to ride the bus... I'll also have the chance to fix the brakes (worn down pads up front), which I'll be a lot more comfortable doing - simple wrenching, with space to work, and much better lit. :prayer:

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 95 Safari - fuel pump failed, plus more?

Post by 1Gary »

There is only one way of saying this.A junk yard pump??.Aaaaaaaa-nope. You have to establish a reliable foundation to eliminate a issue from your bucket list. A junk yard pump isn't that. One main factor is you don't know if your trying to replace your pump with a inferior brand name from the junk yard. It is a fair amount of pita work to drop the tank to swap pumps. You want to know what your putting in there is reliable. Delphi is one of those brands you can count on. Shop it on line at Autozone,Advance Auto,Rock Auto. You should replace the fuel filter at the same time. My 1994 CPI didn't like starting fluid at all. It would ping like crazy in a attempt to start. Main reason why is a unregulated amount of fuel to air throwing the fuel mixture way off.
I find it interesting given what you said for fuel pressures it didn't run and you say it has good spark. But in the same hand Delco Tech line told me that pressures don't matter as much as volume. Not that I agree with that,but they are Delco and I am not.

Your fuel pressure tests sound about normal as does the leakdown key off for the regulator. If you had a problem with a injector or for that matter anywhere else it would show up during those tests.Tell you what. With the dog house off test the spark at a spark plug that you can see while cranking it over. Let us know what you have found after that.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
Karnaaj

Post by Karnaaj »

From what I've read since the problem started, the pressure should hold steady for something like 15 minutes after key-off - well, after the inital pump-turnoff drop.

Pull'n'save was the option for pump that I could afford - $17 + tax was my limit when I was working on it back in July. Replacement pump appears to be original equipment on the van I got it from, so that chance I can take.

Even after sustained cranking, I'm getting no gas smell - I'd think I should have some at the tailpipe if I'm just pushing it through, right?

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by Smiliesafari »

Hit the bottom of the gas tank with a big hammer. Sometimes the shock will temperarily start a stuck fuel pump. NO.......this is not a joke. If the fuel pump starts then you have your answer.You might also check the fuel pump relay.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

Topic author
Karnaaj

Post by Karnaaj »

Smiliesafari wrote:Hit the bottom of the gas tank with a big hammer. Sometimes the shock will temperarily start a stuck fuel pump. NO.......this is not a joke. If the fuel pump starts then you have your answer.You might also check the fuel pump relay.
Fule pump is pumping - I already replaced the dead one. Relay was fine.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Check the ECM fuses. There are 2 of them. I bet one is blown...the one that controls the injectors. You have fuel at the rail, you have spark and there is air so all you need is fuel coming out of the injectors.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy