adding new radio into stock CD player port?

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

adding new radio into stock CD player port?

Post by safari kev »

I have a newer kenwood radio with CD and mp3 and whatnot, and I would like to add it in place of the stock in dash CD player. my van has the factory delco radio with tape deck and the seperate harness out the back from the CD player. Which wires would I have to tie into for the audio? also, would I need to do anything to make the factory radio recognize the new radio as a source instead of the CD player (I'm sure there is some sort of a "trigger wire" that tells the radio to cut the radio audio and play the audio from the CD/ AUX IN source).
I do not wish to remove my factory radio because I like the look of it (I think newer radios are too flashy and don't fit in well) plus I would like to mount the new radio in a console (either floor or overhead) to keep it out of sight. I also do not want to break the fragile wood plastic overlay on the dashboard bezel (which would most likely happen if I attempted to remove the bezel).
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera