5.3 L33
No votes

Total votes: 1

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

383 or 5.3??? Help me decide.

Post by blk lt awd »

Hey guys. It's been an extremely long time since I've been a regular here. I'm working a new job as a Realtor and am finally getting to the point where I can start thinking about the toys again now that the family is being taken care of.

I sold off the 350 I had and am glad I did at this point. I figure if I'm doing a V-8 swap then I might as well shoot for a higher HP/TQ number. I'm not talking super high but around the 400-450 mark which is quite a bit higher than the original 350 I was shooting for with the Ramjet.

Now looking forward I'm trying to figure out which direction to go. A forum member suggested I look into a 5.3 L33 motor vs an LS which seems like a cheaper and more viable option. Also there are a ton of parts to bolt on to get me to my end HP numbers. I understand the mounting points are different, I'll have to rewire and run the appropriate computer. What else will I need to know if I go this route?

Option 2 is getting a 383 stroker. If I go this route I'll in all likelyhood buy a crate motor from GM and source out the computer and additional parts from a Suburban or alternative. I'm also checking criaigslist to see if I luck out on there. Of course this option I've already got the motor mounts and it'll bolt right up to the transmission. I will still have to rewire and run the newer computer.

Both cases I go with newer technology which I feel is a step in the right direction. With the 5.3 I can feel better about lower emissions and fuel consumption. With the 383 it'll be less work to slide in.

Im also going to visit Art Morrison Chassis in November after SEMA to talk to them about getting a new front subframe and the rear tri 4 and getting them to set up the new sub for the 5.3 will be easy at that stage.

So help me out. Which one and why?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege (spicy)
1961 Impala...gone but not forgotten.

http://www.propertystation.ca/

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 383 or 5.3??? Help me decide.

Post by 1Gary »

My 383 build:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7332&hilit=Ole+yel ... +383+build

It is on purpose built for torque.

Looking back on this I do regret building the 383.Crunching some dollars I find I could build a 496 BBC or a LS for the same money. And I did call in some favors while building the 383. You have to have aftermarket heads to flow well enough to feed the 383's. There is no escaping that. The stock Vortec answer simply doesn't work on them. And you really need to find a L31 1996 to 2000 350 and use it as a hydro roller cam engine.

Now the 5.3 isn't a bad engine,but it won't match to a well built 383,496 BBC,or a LS. Alot of people have used the 5.3's successfully. But it isn't a LS and never will be. The LS's have your goals cover easily and have great gas mileage and excellent street manners.

Do a search on
www.Enginebuildermag.com

For both the LS engines and the 5.3's. I think where the 5.3's really shine is when you use a turbo with it.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Rochester,NY

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

If going into an AWD, my vote is for a 383.

Oilpan mods, movement of the A/C compressor, fabbing of mounts, extra wiring, and electronic throttle or cable conversion, takes away valuable time and money that could be spent on building a 383 that will bolt in easily with available parts. (Although, it looks like JTR isn't selling a modified pan anymore, but a kit to do it, making for a bit more work.)

In theory, going into a 2wd would be easier and I don't think you'd have to move the A/C compressor, deal with modifying the pan, and you can buy conversion mounts that supposedly allow an LS style motor to drop in where a SB once sat.
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

The idea of convenience of a 383 still doesn't provide the gas mileage of a LS. The idea of a swap fabrication comes along with it. I know of some real street LS's with turbo's that at the flywheel is 800 hp and still have good street manners and very good gas mileage. Yes I do regret not building one of those. #-o

Rochester,NY

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

Thank you for the responses so far. This is really not an easy decision. I definitely don't want to add a turbo or anything like that. I've got my Speed Protege for that. I'm also not too concerned about fuel consumption as the van is really just a summer toy. With an LS the fuel savings would just be a nice byproduct of the motor design.

So Gary are you suggesting something along the lines of an LS3 perhaps and not the 5.3? I'm trying to read up on all the information I can.

Ease of install and easy HP/TQ numbers are still hard to resist with a 383. However cost is also a factor. LS motors are everywhere and cheap whereas with a 383 I'd just get a GM crate which ain't cheap.....

Keep the responses coming. Thanks guys!
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Do read the Enginebuilder link I left for you. It has alot of good info on the LS's.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

1Gary wrote:Do read the Enginebuilder link I left for you. It has alot of good info on the LS's.
Bookmarked and on my way to a coffee shop to get into it. Thank you for the link. I'll either come back enlightened or further confused. Haha.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

Well what I can say is this is not an easy choice. The more I look into it the more pros and cons I can see with both options. That seems to be the biggest problem. Both options are great choices in their own respect. I found a local old time hot rodder who is big into the LS motors and am trying to track him down. He is well known in certain circles but a little elusive. if I can speak with him, I'll see if he can offer up any wisdom. Thanks again guys.
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

mdmead wrote:If going into an AWD, my vote is for a 383.

Oilpan mods, movement of the A/C compressor, fabbing of mounts, extra wiring, and electronic throttle or cable conversion, takes away valuable time and money that could be spent on building a 383 that will bolt in easily with available parts. (Although, it looks like JTR isn't selling a modified pan anymore, but a kit to do it, making for a bit more work.)

In theory, going into a 2wd would be easier and I don't think you'd have to move the A/C compressor, deal with modifying the pan, and you can buy conversion mounts that supposedly allow an LS style motor to drop in where a SB once sat.
Yes it's into an AWD. Your points are exactly some of the things I'm thinking about as a part of the debate.

Another question if anyone knows.....guy at GM parts counter didn't........but will the RamJet intake work on say a zz383 block? Would it even allow me to get maximum efficiency out of that motor?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

blk lt awd wrote:

Yes it's into an AWD. Your points are exactly some of the things I'm thinking about as a part of the debate.

Another question if anyone knows.....guy at GM parts counter didn't........but will the RamJet intake work on say a zz383 block? Would it even allow me to get maximum efficiency out of that motor?
No. That is set for the 350 c.i. engine. I promise you this. A cam swap,intake update,and head work on a LS will get you 430 hp all day long and for as long as you own it with really good street manners and gas mile that you will never get with the same hp level of 383.

Rochester,NY

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

Ok. So after all the research I've done so far I'm definitely leaning towards The new generation of motors. It seems everything for these guys is available. I can keep the motor mounts I have and get the LS conversion plates that will bolt up. Can even find them to move the motor any which way to ensure it fits. I can get a different throttle body so it runs from the cable converting it from drive by wire. There are aftermarket ECU's to wire into the van and even companies that will make custom harnesses for specific vehicles. The only thing I haven't found are brackets to move the accessories around but if all else is there then I'm sure those are out there somewhere as well.

Now the question becomes which one? LS3, LQ9 etc etc. still reading pros and cons and trying to get all the info I can. Any suggestions there?
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R

Topic author
blk lt awd
I sleep in my van

Post by blk lt awd »

1Gary wrote:
blk lt awd wrote:

No. That is set for the 350 c.i. engine. I promise you this. A cam swap,intake update,and head work on a LS will get you 430 hp all day long and for as long as you own it with really good street manners and gas mile that you will never get with the same hp level of 383.
Thanks for staying with me on this Gary. I'm seeing the light!
1995 Black LT AWD
2000 Ninja ZX-6R