Strange electricral problem.

PLACE ANY ISSUES RELATED TO YOUR VAN NOT STARTING OR STARTING HARD IN HERE.

Topic author
Fede
I am smitten with my van

Strange electricral problem.

Post by Fede »

Hey everyone, I had an issue with my van this morning. When i went to start it it wouldnt crank, the battery was completely dead, only the interior lights would come on but they were very dim. Its strange because i dont remember leaving any lights on or anything and they battery is a year old and never had any problem with it. Anyways, i boosted it and it started right away. I let it run for a couple minutes, shut it off and then started it again no problem.

Later on that day i went to my friends house to pick something up, it started fine and got there no problem, i stayed there for no more than 5 mins, went to start it and it was completely dead again. Boosted it again and it started no problem. At this point i was starting to think maybe it is the alternator that is starting to go because i was listening to music on the way there and i have a sub and amp so maybe it drained the battery.

Anyways later on i went to buy a replacement battery seeing as my current one was still under warranty, again it stared up fine and i got there no problem not using the radio this time. I parked it, got the new battery, came back and started it no problem.

On my way home, it started to rain, and i got stuck in stop and go traffic. I then started to notice my gauge lights dimming every time the windshield wipers would go on, so i turned them off. Then i felt a slight hesitation in the engine for just a second. I thought i should turn around and take another road that wasn't so congested so i could keep the rpms higher. As i turn to make a u-turn, the van stalls across the two lanes and im blocking on coming traffic. It wont start up agian, the battery is completely dead. I try to push it as close to the curb as possible and scramble to change the battery out quickly.
Now here's the strange part, as i put the socket onto the positive terminal to disconnect it, i hear the key chime come on. I go inside and see all the dash lights on, i turn the key and it starts. I thought to myself WTF?

My battery is a dual terminal, i have the the top terminals for the sub and the HID lights, and it was the top terminal that i touched with the socket. After that i got home no problem and ive tried starting it a couple times with no problems. Ive tested the battery and alternator with a multimeter and both seem to be working fine. What do you guys think it could be?
91 Astro LT

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: Strange electricral problem.

Post by Kidhauler »

It could be loose battery connections or a loose ground cable. It doesn't sound like the alternator as the van continues to run once started even with the sub and amp running.

The other possibility would be the ignition cylinder in the steering colom is worn out and making bad contacts sometimes.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I agree in a loose or bad connection someplace. I would pull all the connections off the battery and clean them and put some dielectric grease on them when reinstalling. I would then start pulling the grounds at the radiator support and engine block, frame, starter and alternator and make sure they are not corroded.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Fede
I am smitten with my van

Post by Fede »

Thanks for your posts guys. I changed out the battery and cleaned all the grounds. They were a bit corroded, but nothing serious. The ground on the block though was pretty gunked up with grease. But i cleaned them all put dielectric grease on everything and havent had any problems since. I kninda have i feeling the battery might of been defective.

Thanks again.
91 Astro LT