How do I replace 2000 Safari front diff axle bearings?

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
Dungeness
I am merely driving my van

How do I replace 2000 Safari front diff axle bearings?

Post by Dungeness »

The transfer case had the clutch problem (oil deteriorated and started locking up) and it took out the bearings in the front diff, how do you replace the bearings on the drivers side?
2000 Safari AWD full load
'87 Astro full load of rust

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: How do I replace 2000 Safari front diff axle bearings?

Post by photo_van »

You'll need to pull the half shaft, then the seal cover assembly. The inner axle bearing is a small roller bearing that I think can be pulled without messing with the carrier preload adjusters. I just had mine (98) all apart but didn't replace those bearings so I don't recall exactly. You will need some sort of inside jawed bearing puller I think. You should be able to do it without dropping the entire front diff.

Are you sure it's bad?
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
Dungeness

Post by Dungeness »

Thanks a million for your response, this is my first time posting.
I'm pretty sure it's bad because there is a lot of noise coming from underneath and when I grab the diff side of the inner CV and jiggle it is quite loose. My concern is that the ring gear may be damaged due to misalignment with the pinion because of the loose bearing and the diff may be too damaged to bother with bearing replacement. I've replaced the entire front axle fairly recently and just disconnected the upper ball joints to allow the half-shaft splines to clear the wheel bearings, is this the only way to remove the half-shafts? The 2000 front axle is different than the '98 in that there is no flange to separate the CV from the diff. The way I replaced the half shafts is by removing the boot and pulling the shaft end out of the cup attached to the diff. I'm guessing there is a nut inside the cup so you can get the cup off to remove the seal cover. What do you think, is the diff likely beyond repair if the bearing is gone?

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

My '98 doesn't have flanges either, you axle removal procedure is correct.

There is no nut behind the halfshaft. The seal is actually pressed into a steel plate that is removed by I think, 5, bolts (you can see that plate and the bolts behind the inner cv joint). You'll need to remove that entire plate.

The halfshafts do have play in that bearing. so a little movement isn't unusual. The inner axle bearing has nothing to do with the ring and pinion alignment. Around the inner bearing are the carrier pre-load adjusters. Those push on the carrier bearings which are behind the inner axle bearing. If those are bad then you have some problems.

I think our front axles are pretty much the same, but don't quote me on that.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

I just re-read your post ie axle removal. NO you don't remove the boot!!! The entire halfshaft is removed in one piece by tapping on the inner joint with a soft hammer. It then slides out of the differential.
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

photo_van
I sleep in my van

Post by photo_van »

here's a picture of the inner axle (halfshaft) bearing and the adjusters.
Screen Shot 2012-10-14 at 4.30.55 PM.png
1998 AWD/4WD
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Photo_van is right. Just pull the CV shaft as a whole unit after releasing the upper ball joint and lower shock mount. The CV shaft then slides out of the diff with a light tap of a hammer. The outer cover (as seen below), then comes off with the axle seal. The bearing will need to be pulled out with a slide hammer but DO NOT turn the carrier adjusting nut as seen in photo_van's pic. That bearing is only for the CV shaft and the carrier itself has its own bearings further inside. The 98 front axles and the 2005 front axles are interchangeable. The flanged CV shafts were in the 1990 to 1996 vans.

Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Dungeness

Post by Dungeness »

Sure appreciate the info and advice you guys. I decided to backtrack my diagnosis based on photo_van's wondering if I was sure about the diff bearings so I removed the wheel bearings and discovered the passenger side is grindy, going to replace it and see if that is whats going on. Once again, Thanks!!! You guys rock!!!