first campin thread

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
Mark C.
I get chills without my van.

first campin thread

Post by Mark C. »

first campin thread. Spent the weekend campin at Jenkinsens Resevoir. I am a fisherman,lately a kayak fisherman,also trying out a new memory foam matress in the astro.

Topic author
Mark C.

Re: first campin thread

Post by Mark C. »

ImageI cought a couple Rainbow trout but had no camera. It was below freezing first night but bed wea warm.

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

My wifey Tiff and my 4 month old pup Woody in first pic. He is a german short hair,pain in the ass mix.Image

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Looks like fun! Cute puppy!

:cheers:
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

T.Low
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by T.Low »

Looks like a pretty decent campground.
ImageImageImageImage
AstroLander Build Slideshow
Church bells ringing in the middle of a gunfight.

okie1
I sleep in my van

Post by okie1 »

Very nice spot to camp, I wish we had places like that near here.

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

Beautiful place, looks like fun.
I use one of those 4" memory foam from Wally World too. Years back I got a sleep number mattress, the cheapest one they sell with not much more than a mattress pad for a topper and put one of those over it. Now I enjoy going to bed again. I'm old and grumpy, a good nights rest is important to me, you on the other hand look young and got a good woman in a beautiful place,,, do ya really need a matress??? \:D/
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

One thing I did that is new to me, I hate sleepin on an unlevel surface and parkin perfectly flat is hard to do so I got the van as close as I could and broke out the stock scissor jack,placed it under the low corner and BAM! Level and stable.

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

Nice thread Mark. Good photos too. IMO the memory foam pad just plain rocks! I cut mine to fit and wrapped it in some water resistant fabric (again, purchased from Wally world). It's very comfortable and gets good comments from viewers. PLUS, it's fairly cheap so every year or so (or if something bad happens like my dog having an "accident") I can replace it if necessary.
Good tip on using the jack for leveling. I've thought of it but never actually did it. Have to remember that on my next trip. :cheers:

Happy camping!

Joe
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

The scissor jack was very cool,as was the memory foam. Wife and I have a lot of outdoor gear and have been using a couple mummy bags and compared to what we just slept in I call BS! I dont know if u all have Big 5 sporting goods but surely something similar. We bought two Coleman "Kern River" sleeping bags. Big square old school style sleeping bags,and zipped them together,one on top one on bottom,not like mummies zip together. This was a big step in sleepin comfort! Each sleeper has a zipper to get out,we shared warmth better and the bags together was wider than the bed which is at the rough height of the window ledge so lots of elbow room. My hands fall asleep so I have to be able to hang my arms down ocationally which this system works both ways.

Topic author
Mark C.

Post by Mark C. »

By the way,in response to "woodbutcher" "a good woman" is exactly why a good matress is in order :yawinkle:

H2OJoe
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by H2OJoe »

I heard that! Though my wife would rather go camping in the RV (duh!) she's totally fine now when I tell her we're going in the van.
Memory foam + good sleeping bags = happy wife = happy marriage.
2001 Astro LT AWD "Redneck Edition", 4" Custom Lift, 30x9.5R15LT on stock wheels, Hightop conversion, custom interior, custom roof racks, external solar shower, front recovery points. SOLD

1997 Astro LS AWD Starting build soon.