Dome/Courtesy lights will not turn off

USE THIS FORUM FOR ANY ELECTRICAL QUESTIONS SUCH AS WIRE COLOR CODES, BLOWING FUSES OR WIRING SHORTS.

Topic author
Alaskavans
I am merely driving my van

Dome/Courtesy lights will not turn off

Post by Alaskavans »

Hi all. This is my first post. I like this site, good solid info, but I am not computer savvy. I have a '95 Safari SLE that decided to keep its dome lights on all the time. I checked the dash light dimmer to make sure it is not on and I turned off the open door override (Dome Lamp Defeat Switch). Lifted' had posted a '98 partial diagram, and if it had been a door switch, the override switch would have broken the ground (thus the circuit), so I am thinking it could be the relay, but it is not in the partial diagram. Also, I do not know what this relay looks like or where it is located. I pulled the fuse to save my battery, but it sure is dark. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.
P.S. I was asked how many wheels on an Astro van (my wife has that one), I thought it was a trick question, so I put 5. They would not let me join if I used a number larger than 4, so I put 4, but my wife's Astro has 5. Is this a conundrum?:)

Smiliesafari
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Dome/Courtesy lights will not turn off

Post by Smiliesafari »

The light switch on the forward door jam of the slider came from the factory with a plastic cap. It provided enough movement for the switch to turn the light off. On my '96 that cap broke off thus keeping the light on all of the time. I glued a small vacuum cap on the switch and it solved the problem.
1996 Safari SLX Hotair balloon transport vehicle

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

I don't have an answer, but Skip's seemed a great place to start.

Regarding wheels... I guess the Astro's are cheaper than the Safaris. My Safari has six, not five. Four, plus the spare, and a steering wheel. (Guess the steering wheel doesn't come with the Astro...) :muhaha: :poke: :bounce:
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Topic author
Alaskavans

Post by Alaskavans »

Thanx for the feedback. I had already checked the door jam switches for the plastic cap, but then realized that if it were a door switch problem the Dome Lamp Defeat switch would have overridden it as electrically it would act like an open door. I am still leaning towards the relay. If I remember correctly, normally when I get in and turn on the key or start it or put it in drive (one of those) the dome lights go out (which is a relay function I would guess), and they are not going out.

I have heard the control for the instrument panel illumination called a wheel also. Gosh, that is a tricky question. Alaskavans

6spd_monte
I sleep in my van

Post by 6spd_monte »

It sounds to me like a short in the dome lamp circuit somewhere. It the power side of the circuit is shorted, the fuse should pop. If the ground side is shorted, the lights stay on. A good place to start checking is with the housing for the rear lamp. On two vehicles I've had the wire short against the roof panel right where the lamp base screws in. Just remove the cover like you're going to change the bulb, then unscrew the housing base. After it's loose grab the wires and wiggle them a bit. If the lights flicker or go out you know you're close!

Now, my experience is with older vehicles. The dome lamp on a '95 may be completely different and my suggestion may be totally useless.

Good luck!
-James

1987 LT
249,000 miles

Topic author
Alaskavans

Post by Alaskavans »

Thanx for the tip. I will have to check it out. I am still hoping someone can help me identify and locate the dome lamp relay. Thanx, Alaskavans

CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Sadly, the dome lamp relay is in the headlight switch. Can you say $$$? That, or a trip to the JY.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Topic author
Alaskavans

Post by Alaskavans »

Thankyou for such encouraging info, I was thinking more along the lines of a little cube under the dash that just plugged in. Guess that would be too simple.

Thanx, Alaskavans

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Got your PM. Looking through my 1998 FSM, there is no separate relay for the interior lights. I don't know if the 1995's are wired the same or not though. It appears as it is all done through the dimmer wheel or the interior lamp control module. The following 2 wiring diagrams are the only ones showing the dome lights. According to my FSM, the ILCM is located on the data link connector bracket.

Since the lights stay on, they are being grounded. On the drawings, you will see triangles containing the letters A and C. A is supplied power to all dome lamps and C is the ground side of the lamps. If you have the ILCM and unplug it, the lights should go out. If they don't, you have a ground wire grounded where it isn't supposed to be.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
Alaskavans

Post by Alaskavans »

Appreciate the info. Will check it out and let you know if I find anything.
Thanx, Alaskavans

95 Safari AWD SLE
96 Astro AWD