Reprogramming tire size

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS OR ISSUES WITH ANYTHING RELATED TO OBD-1 AND OBD-2, SECURITY, AUDIO AND VIDEO SYSTEMS, PLACE THEM HERE. USE THIS FORUM FOR SES LIGHTS, RPO CODES, FACTORY OPTIONS ETC.

Topic author
JonnyAWD
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Reprogramming tire size

Post by JonnyAWD »

Does anyone know if the dealer can reset tire size or revs per mile on the stock computer ? My dealer won't give a answer..
02 safari awd. 5.3l custom 4 in lift dual 3" exhaust firefighter package. 31 in tires
95 astro 4.3 sts turbo. 3in duals. Trutrac locker monster trans
88 jag
77 Porsche
00 M5

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Reprogramming tire size

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I am sure they can but I have been told by the dealers before it was a liability issue as the M/L vans never came with larger tires. I offered them $100 cash once and was still told no! ](*,)

There are options though. You can buy a programmer like a Jet Performance or Hypertech programmer or a Jet SCU (speed control unit) 2000.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

I was told by the dealer that the computer could only be programmed for preset OEM gear ratios and tire sizes.
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I have the older GM TECH II dealership programmer and it does allow you to enter in the tire sizes for reprogramming.

I think you may be better off like Lifted said and get a reasonably priced programmer. Then you can mess with all sorts of stuff (shift points, etc)

:cheers:

Topic author
JonnyAWD
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by JonnyAWD »

What seems to be the best programmer ?
02 safari awd. 5.3l custom 4 in lift dual 3" exhaust firefighter package. 31 in tires
95 astro 4.3 sts turbo. 3in duals. Trutrac locker monster trans
88 jag
77 Porsche
00 M5

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

I have the JET DST (Dynamic Spectrum Tuner). I wouldn't say it's the best, but it did what I wanted it to do. I reprogrammed my diff ratio, tire size and a few performance parameters. You can reprogram just about all of the LUT's (look up tables) that the computer uses to control the vehicle. It is a complete tuning programmer....i.e. you can seriously tweak your ride and seriously mess it up if you don't know what you're doing.

It requires a laptop to run the device and it disconnects after programming. It is not an "on the fly" unit with an LCD display like many are. Those types might be better suited to those who tow and change tire sizes from season to season.

I think "best" is subjective since it depends on what you want to do and how much you want to spend. The JET DST is about $400.