Chinook Pass Snow Festival - Washington

A place to discuss all activities related to the Great Outdoors & Camping

Topic author
mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Chinook Pass Snow Festival - Washington

Post by mdmead »

Last Sunday, Ryan and I particpated in the Yakima Ski-Benders' Chinook Pass Snow Festival, which is basically a snowmobile poker ride.

We headed out just after 7am, and after picking up McDonald's for breakfast, and some convenience store sandwiches, drove up to the Little Naches Sno-Park a few miles past Whistlin' Jack's Lodge which is on Hwy 410 west of Yakima. Arriving just before 9am, we found a busy sno-park, but not so packed we couldn't find a place to park. (Ski-Benders were on hand to keep the parking organized anyway.)

I have my 'hillbilly camper' loaded on the truck, so I fired up the heater and Ryan went inside while I unloaded our two snowmobiles. After I finished, I joined her and we put on our snowmobile gear.

After packing our sleds with lunch, extra gloves and other necessities, we rode over to the poker ride registration area. I bought two hands for myself and a kid's hand for Ryan, (total $18), and we hit the first checkpoint located right there.

We then snowmobiles for a couple of hours, following the marked route and hitting the three checkpoints located on the trail.

At the third (trailside) checkpoint, since it was nearing lunch time, we lingered and ate our sandwiches. We also talked with checkpoint helpers who we know through the Ski-Benders (of which we are members).

It was a fairly quick run from this checkpoint back to the sno-park and the final checkpoint. While Ryan had been running 15-20 mph earlier, she took this opportunity to 'open her up' and we ran 35-40 on this section of the Forest Service road.

Back at the sno-park a bit after noon, we had until 2:30pm before the prizes would be awarded. I re-loaded the snowmobiles on the trailer and Ryan went in the camper and played games on my Galaxy Tab. Once I was done and inside, we played a couple of card games.

While I didn't bring home any prize, all the kid's were winners. The kids had their choice of available donated items and by the time Ryan was called, she was still able to snag a big stuffed bear she'd been eyeing.

We left right after Ryan grabbed her bear so we could beat the crowds and because Ryan had another engagement at 5pm.

It was an awesome day spent with my daughter. Great weather, great company, great fun!

The third trailside checkpoint.

Dad showing Ryan where we were on the trail map. (Photo by Paula Hyiatt)

Great father/daughter pic. (Photo by Paula Hyiatt)

For more photos from the Snow Festival, check out the Ski-Benders' Facebook album at:
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/medi ... 290&type=1

Post script: This was the maiden voyage with my new (to me) Summit REV. It ran great and didn't overheat. (Running at slow speeds isn't something a lot of liquid-cooled snowmobiles do well. My old Summit used to overheat before I put a set of ice scratchers on it. This REV doesn't yet have any so I was a bit concerned.)
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Chinook Pass Snow Festival - Washington

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Great pics! Love the snow, wish we had some like that! Hit 60's here today and the snow is gone again. ](*,)
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy