Mounts for Rear speakers in a Cargo

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
infinite.chris
I get chills without my van.

Mounts for Rear speakers in a Cargo

Post by infinite.chris »

Trying to think up a way to mount my Pioneer speakers up in the back of my van, and right now all I have is:

(I probably should have been as "creative" with the passenger side one but eh)

But I'm uttery stumped as far as fabbing something, open to any suggestions? I'm half tempted to build something but don't even know where to start.
[SCRUFFY 95 RWD Astro Cargo :: 227k ]

------------------------------------------------

trevcda
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Re: Mounts for Rear speakers in a Cargo

Post by trevcda »

Because of the potential for road and operating noise, particularly in a cargo van, I wouldn't expect much from those speakers in that box. It's too small to develop any significant low end to add to the front speakers. Unless you're spending any time yourself in the back (camping, etc.), I would think an upgrade to the front speaker would be more beneficial. I have an eight passenger van and I can't really hear mine from the driver's seat in the factory rear locations at all. I tap into the wiring for them (before the factory amp for a feed for an amp for a small sub so I can use the fader to adjust the sub level from a factory deck. That said, if you already have the materials, give a whirl. Experiment with placement before you go drilling holes for permanent mounting.

Added: Wasn't there a picture of a plastic box in there a minute ago?!! I think I must be losing it!

Topic author
infinite.chris

Post by infinite.chris »

has my lows covered (15" vented sub)

I'm looking to just fill in my mids and high freq's a bit more right now.

Now you've got me thinking about replacing my stockers all with 16x9's, maybe even moving them a bit further forward (perpendicular to the slider on both sides.)

Where my sub control is mounted:

Added - I did have some other speakers (that had mounts!) on here before, thought they were going to be more scavangable, but turned out not to be so.

safari kev
I finally get the smurf thing

Post by safari kev »

I'd build 2 boxes and mount them to the roof behind the front seats (you would probably have to build a framework for them off the factory roof/ wall supports).
00 safari high top explorer conversion. "shagfari" 235xxx miles on body. 242k on junkyard Jimmy motor.
94 safari hi-top explorer limited. 132k miles.
95 ASTRO choo choo conv. RIP @115K
97 safari slx "surfin' safari" 145k miles RIP
91 safari shorty Tiara conversion. RIP
86 cadillac fleetwood brougham. 67k. It thinks its a hot rod.
83 lesabre limited. 71k miles
66+68 toronados
66 Riviera

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

You could always go with wood coat hangers and stain it them match the console. That would look pretty tricked out.

:poke:

No really I'm in the same boat. I have 16X9's in boxes bolted to the floor in back. The sound is pretty good but the boxes are always in the way. I want to mount something in the doors but I'm worried they will rattle like crazy. I'm curious to see what you end up with as it may determine my layout as well.

:cheers:

Topic author
infinite.chris

Post by infinite.chris »

97CargoCrawler wrote:You could always go with wood coat hangers and stain it them match the console. That would look pretty tricked out.

:poke:

No really I'm in the same boat. I have 16X9's in boxes bolted to the floor in back. The sound is pretty good but the boxes are always in the way. I want to mount something in the doors but I'm worried they will rattle like crazy. I'm curious to see what you end up with as it may determine my layout as well.

:cheers:
Kinda biding my time till I find some dutch doors I can't afford to pass up, and I'll just use the speaker mounts in those. If do end up going for 16x9's, they'll be in boxes as thin as possible, and tucked behind my front seats on the wall or ceiling. If memory serves, the "stash" covers from a 85-90 passenger rear wheel well would work.

Too many projects, not enough time, or warm weather. :cheers:

justice
I sleep in my van

Post by justice »

i have the stock door speakers in my van, plus an 8" bass tube behaind the drivers seat (between the seat and the divider) i got a real good balanced sound and all the volume i need without an extra amp (these are all driven by a Kenwood head unit)
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)