Texas emissions info

SWAPPING IN A 305, 350 OR ANY OTHER SMALL BLOCK, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
markmitchinnh
I sleep in my van

Texas emissions info

Post by markmitchinnh »

Since it looks pretty positive that we may move to Texas I took the liberty and called Texas Inspections commission.
I told them about my 89 Astro and that it had no cat con and will most likely have a V8 by the time we move (just to get info) And the guy told me that because of the year it does not require emissions testing but it does require a safety inspection (fine with me) and there are no laws on engines swaps as long its safe and if it required emissions tests then the engine swap is still legal as long as it passed both emissions and safety.
Recently bought a 1989 Astro RS from Florida. Replaced stock engine witha 1997 5.7 vortec with TBI and replaced transmission with rebuilt 700R4 with mild shift kit.
Bought on Monday the 16th of April 2012

justice
I sleep in my van

Re: Texas emissions info

Post by justice »

well, he may have been a little off, it is my understanding that a car has to be 25 years old to be exempt from the emissions testing, but also emissions testing is a county by county thing and not all countys require it. For example, Harris county had emissions testing for 2 years before Ft Bend county started it. I live in Ft Bend.
I have a ban hammer and I ain't fraid to use it!

Current - 2004 Astro Cargo

Former
95 Safari (money pit - sold)
93 Astro Cargo (totaled)
85 Astro - (Bought for parts and scrapped)
92 Astro Conversion (sold)
87 Safari Shorty (sold)

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

I think it's reasonable to build to the toughest state's emissions requirements.Then no matter where you go,it's all good. :-k
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Post by Kidhauler »

I worked for the testing centers in b.c. Here you have to meet the standards for the year of the body an the size of the engine. So if you put a 1999 350 into a 1989 truck it was easy to meet the standard but if you put a 89 into a 99 your basicly screwed. I think most places work like that. As long as you can pass the standards for that year and motor size your good. Unless you live in California or Switzerland then things get weird.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.