I done a GOOD thing!

Non technical and off-topic discussion

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

I done a GOOD thing!

Post by CaptSquid »

Since I became disabled, I have taken on a militant stance on those who park in handicapped spots when they are MENTALLY handicapped.

Today, some dolt parked on the zebra stripes between two marked handicapped spaces. I told him that was NOT a parking space and he'd have to move. He started waving his hand at me. Sadly, he was severely arthritic. He also exhausted his somewhat limited vocabulary and had to make do with words that make a sailor blush. After he got done with his very short errand, he got back in his car (a Ford) and again, started using words I don't use. I don't take kindly to that. I got his license as he drove off. Then, I called the local constabulary and reported the incident.

The investigating officer informed me that I should block them in in the future; that, or take pictures. But then he told me that the plates belonged to a Buick LeSabre! He then told me he was going to pay him a visit. :D
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

Kidhauler
I sleep in my van

Re: I done a GOOD thing!

Post by Kidhauler »

Good for you. I just wouldn't block him in with the amount of Guns in the states you might get shot. A very good friend of mine is is handicapped since birth and it pisses me off to see able bodied idiots in the handicapped spaces.
1999 Safari Touring edition.
trailer tow pack with a 3:73 posi
Bucket bench seats, Rear heat, Rear Airconditioning.
teal green
300 000 kms
AirRide air bags in the rear to fix soft stock suspension.
Onboard aircompressor to make it all work nice.

irocblu
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by irocblu »

It' sad people doing things like that. Poeple are to much of a rush now days. I would like to think there is good in all of us but that ME 1st hard to over look. I just do what I can and roll with the punchs. keep up the Good fight.

icebrrg3rd
I am smitten with my van

Post by icebrrg3rd »

I will say this. My wife & I used to comment on what appeared to be able bodied people parking in those spots. Since my wife has been recently diagnosed with MS, we both now realize that appearances can be deceiving. She appears fit, but there are days the walk from the lot (not from a handicap spot but further out in the lot) to the front doors just about does her in. Even tho she is now considered permanently disabled, with placards, she still won't park in one unless it's a bad day for her. If I'm driving, I'll drop her off and go park in a normal spot. We know there are those who are worse off than she is and need that spot more.

I'm not saying that there aren't those rude jerks, just be careful judging who you think may or may not be disabled...

-Andrew
81 Yamaha Maxim XJ650, Black & Green, 64k miles
83 Yamaha Venture 1200cc, White, 74k miles
91 Chevy Astro 2WD, 4.3L, Maroon, 229k miles
00 Dodge Grand Caravan, 3.8L, Blue, 145k miles

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by 1Gary »

I remember this situation very well.Two yrs ago it was.I was coming out of a restaurant and I saw a pick-up driving very aggressively to wrangle for handicap parking spot.He got out of this raised pick-up wearing a marine ball cap and some sort of military patched jacket.He was about my age.He was walking my way so as he passed my way,I said"no wheelchair"??. He looked kind of perplexed at me and I said it again pointing to the wheelchair on the sign.Firmly he told me that he had three heart attacks and died twice.Me not willing to back down I said"your very much alive now!!!". Ticked off he wheeled around on his heels and when into the restaurant.At that time I felt very good about what I had done.I mean what the hell it was a marine who is supposed to be tough.Right??. Forget the fact of his service to the country. Yeah WRONG!!

Since I got sick,I would view this much,much,differently.I don't know how I appear to people,but just the COPD on some days leaves me breathless to get to the electric carts inside the store.Abit of chest pain too.I've learned my lesion.I'm not saying just getting older is a entitlement to handicap parking.But in the same hand you just can't judge a book by it's cover either.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
CaptSquid
I plan to be buried in my van

Post by CaptSquid »

Don't get me wrong here. I always check for placards or license plates indicating handicap status. What gets me are the teens driving Granny's car and utilizing Granny's HCP stickers just so they don't have to go far to get in to the store. Or the mentally challenged individuals who feel that they can park wherever they want just for their convenience. I even had one simpleton park his shopping cart on my scooter lift mechanism because he couldn't be bothered with taking it the extra few feet to the cart corral.

If mobility for me wasn't the issue, I'd be more than delighted to park out in the weeds. But because it is, I must use spaces closer to the building.
Mike, Billings, MT, 'MERICA!
92 Safari SLE w/Z Motor (sold to a good home)
98 AWD Stro LS
93 Suburban Silverado 4x4

Look for the MISSING Alien in the Right Seat. AL, PHONE HOME!!!

ImageImage

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Kidhauler wrote:I just wouldn't block him in with the amount of Guns in the states you might get shot.
Yup, better watch it. EVERYONE is packing! :muhaha: :muhaha:

(Good grief!) #-o
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

LiftedAWDAstro
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

You must be in America when...everyone in church is packin'! :rolleyes: Actually there are a LOT of guns in the USA but 99.9% are put away in gun cabinets waiting for the next small or large game hunting trip or a clay target or skeet shoot. Not many carry on their sides or in their trucks.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy