Deano .... need some help gettin the 95 ready for summer cam

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Deano .... need some help gettin the 95 ready for summer cam

Post by skippy »

Hey Deano . long time no see :)
Spring is upon us & its time to get the new rig ready for towing the camper . its getting all new cooling system & a tranny cooler as well as a tune up .
what i need from you if you could , is a couple links on a heavy duty radiator & a good tranny cooler .
would a 1" core rad be enough ? I'm planning on keeping the clutch fan for cooling it for now . might do the electric fans later if needed .... but i kinda doubt it will be needed .

Thanx Dean & anybody else who chimes in to help :D
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Re: Deano .... need some help gettin the 95 ready for summer

Post by skippy »

Oh yeah .... forgot to ask cuz i don't remember . is it better to put the tranny cooler lines in series with the cooler in the radiator or just bypass the radiator & have the cooler only cooling the tranny ???
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

DAILY THOUGHT:
SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Post by MountainManJoe »

In series, downstream of the OEM cooler will give you the best cooling capacity.

viewtopic.php?f=57&t=514&p=66783#p66783
(let me know if you'd like to see the missing pics)
Last edited by MountainManJoe on Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

I recommend a Tru-cool LPD 4590 tranny cooler. I bought mine from Oregon Performance Transmissions on E-bay. The kit has all the correct fittings and hoses. Plumb it inline after the radiator cooler. Stick with the stock clutch fan as it cools the best. For radiators, there is a thread about a heavy duty one in the Cooling section under Engines.
Current rides:
2013 Toyota Tundra DC 4x4
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4
2005 Nissan Sentra 1.8S Special Edition

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1986 Safari 2.5L 4 speed manual - scrapped
1995 Astro 2WD conversion 4.11 posi, shift kit, DHC rock rails - sold to Skippy
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc
2003 Astro AWD all stock - traded for a 3/4 ton truck
2005 AWD, 4.10's - sold to skippy

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx Timelees & Dean .... I just ordered the trany cooler ... Thanx :)
I have read through that radiator thread & can't seem to find a retailer for that Radiator . I think as long as I get a GOOD 1" core Rad ..... i should be fine . seems like quite a few here suggest the same thing so .... I'll give Albany Radiator a call on monday to see what they suggest too .

Next major project for her will be to find someone to do an upgrade rebuild on the rear axle . maybe a locker if i can find one tow & street friendly .

Thanx Guys :yawinkle: & maybe we'll get together at a campsite sometime this summer .

DAILY THOUGHT:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Hey Dan.Guys prefer the plate style coolers and I like the tube type.Less of a chance of the tube type to plug up over time is the reason why.
In terms of camping,try to remember Skip comes up to fly over the Memorial wkend. I am hoping to make a day trip out of it and we could finally meet if you could make it there.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Wheres he going to be this year ? I might be able to get there this year if I can book it in advance . i know the wife would love the hot air ballons & i'd finally get to meet yer old ass :poke: :D

DAILY THOUGHT:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Same as yrs past.It's a annual event.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8465&p=84348&sid=cc ... ae7#p84348

Rochester,NY

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

Thanx gary ... i'll let ya know :)

got 95% of my parts coming from rockauto ... to the tune of $ 570 :yikes:
but thats everything !! & I even grabbed a set of moog idlers & billstien shocks for the front . i still have a brand new set of gabriel air shocks for the back that i bought for the 97 & never installed .

might have to think about getting the AC fixed .... but the compressor went bad as i bought the van & i just put a bypass pulley on it , so the AC fix might get spendy !!!
I've got the windows in the barn doors that open & they let a nice breeze blow through :)

main reason i stopped in was to ask ya what you guys thought about the radiator i bought . never heard of the brand but it looks like a nice unit . can't find one without plastic tanks .

the link is from another company , but it has a better description of the RAD than rock auto does . http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts/nisse ... 8328.aspx#

DAILY THOUGHT:

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

All the parts are in ... now to get the time to do it .... if it ever stops snowing ](*,)

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Yeah...winter just wants to hang on a for a little bit longer! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:
1998 Astro 4x4 D44, D60, NP231, full hydraulic system with 9k# Milemarker winch and snow plow - sold to Lockdoc

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

I put the snowblower away 2 weeks ago cuz it was getting nice & it was around the 1st of march ..... yeah we,ve had snow every weekend sense !!!

DAILY THOUGHT:

LiftedAWDAstro

Post by LiftedAWDAstro »

Better pull that blower out then! :muhaha:
Current rides:
2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4

Mileage spreadsheet

Vans owned:

1Gary

Post by 1Gary »

Hell I just drive over the snow.My way of getting even with the snow. :yawinkle: :muhaha:

Rochester,NY

Topic author
skippy
I sleep in my van

Post by skippy »

You have a garage to work in Gary ....I don't !!! all my repairs & mods are done outside . so i'd like the snow to be gone anyways .

DAILY THOUGHT: