1995-2000 stock radio re-lamp

ANYTHING RELATED TO AUDIO OR VIDEO SYSTEMS WHETHER STOCK OR AFTERMARKET.

Topic author
till
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

1995-2000 stock radio re-lamp

Post by till »

For anyone who whats to keep the stock radio. It is possible to re-lamp. I found on a GM truck board the information needed.
You have two options.

Option #1 is to send it in to these guys..
http://replacementradios.com/product_in ... cts_id=167
It is about $40 plus the shipping to get it to them.

Option #2 is to do the job yourself.
The lamps can be had from your local Radio Shack. There stock number is 272-1092. This is a package of 2 lamps, 12 Volts at 60 milliamperes. The price as of 3/13/2013 is $1.99 a pkg.
You will need 10 lamps total for the stock GM Theftlock radio. Once you have the radio on your bench, it will take about an hour to do the job if you have experience with a soldering iron.
Here is a link to the page I found the tips on.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=36199
When I started removing the OEM lamps ans saw the size difference I was concerned that this would not work. But it does. I very pleased with the way it worked out. I will post back to this thread after a while to see how well the lamps hold up. I just did this today.
Tedd ILL
2000 Astro LS (4th owner starting at 152000)
Easy does when driving a dumpster with a steering wheel.

MountainManJoe
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: 1995-2000 stock radio re-lamp

Post by MountainManJoe »

Good stuff. Thanks for the info.

Personally I opted for a more modern stereo that has more power, and will accept the various digital formats of today. However, there are aspects of the OEM stereos that I will miss forever. Their resale value seems to remain high enough that it's worth keeping them around.