Hours to change axle bearings?

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS ON THE REAR DRIVE SHAFT OR AXLE, IT GOES HERE.

Topic author
maestro
I am smitten with my van

Hours to change axle bearings?

Post by maestro »

The GT4 / G80 rear end is making noise, sounds like axle bearings to me. Can anyone tell me how many hours it should take for a pro to change them out? Also, any recommendations for which bearing kit to buy from Rock Auto? Thanks! :cheers:

97CargoCrawler
I sleep in my van

Re: Hours to change axle bearings?

Post by 97CargoCrawler »

Pinion bearings too or?

Are you asking to see if the mechanic is charging too much or asking because you're gonna do it yourself? Hard to tell cause sounds like you're buying the stuff....but then refer to a "Pro." If you're a pro then....wouldn't you already know? Confused.

For an experienced shop, doing all the bearings I would say 2-3 hours. For the guy who has never done it before...minimum 5 hours with average tools and a lot of luck.

If you're talking just the axle tube bearings and seals, pro shop 1 hour and inexperienced guy maybe 3-4 hours. Remember, this requires draining fluids, replacing diff cover gasket, removing the brakes and the axle shafts. For someone who has never done that before it can be quite a task if your anal and want to make sure you do it right.

I'm anal so everything takes me way longer than the average DIY'r. I take my time to thoroughly clean and inspect everything along the way.

It's hard to answer this question. My guess is every shop and everyone is different.

I recommend any kit with Timken bearings.
1997 SAFARI 2WD CARGO
"I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." Nikola Tesla

Topic author
maestro
I am smitten with my van

Re: Hours to change axle bearings?

Post by maestro »

Thanks for the reply. I 'used to' do all my own repairs, restored a few cars, done engine swaps, ring jobs, etc... all kinds of things but I never did any rear end work. [-X

These days, my job, three kids and wife keep me busy enough so I am having most work done at local shops. I was going to order a Master Bearing Kit from Rock Auto and then have a local mechanic do the installation. Just looking at the hours it would take a decent mechanic to do the work. The whirring is driving me nuts!

Thanks for the great info! :cheers: