DIY PosiLoc disconnect for S-10 front end

THIS FORUM IS FOR ANY QUESTIONS ON THE 7.25" IFS FRONT DIFF, CV HALF SHAFTS AND FRONT DRIVE SHAFT.

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

DIY PosiLoc disconnect for S-10 front end

Post by photo_van »

I've been meaning to put this up since I did it last fall. I put in an S-10 front axle when I put in the 4.10's so I had to figure out a way to engage and disengage the axle.

Posi-lock makes such an item, but at $200+ I just couldn't bring myself to pay more for a cable then I did for the whole axle. So I McGyvered it. I ran this a bunch this winter in the snow and then again in the desert this spring; it worked great.

So first of all the axle came with a cable and end that looked like this (the hose clamp and mounting braket are "after market"
_MG_0474.jpg
In the OEM application this is connected to, and operated by, a vacuum diaphragm. Note the little groove at the end for a c-clip, I'll use that.

So basically you just need to come up with a way to pull and hold that cable out to engage (a spring in the diff. at the other end will return it), preferably from inside the cab :rolleyes:

I used a hood release cable from a junked Geo $5.00.
Screen Shot 2013-01-06 at 5.09.09 PM.png
I didn't want to put a hole in the dash so I mounted it through the vent register under the steering column.
_MG_1733.jpg
Next I had to hook the two cable ends together. I'm sure there are a bunch of ways to do this, but if you happen to have a vintage Stanley #21 3" bubble level housing, that will work well
_MG_0471.jpg
Drill a 3/16"? hole in one end for the shaft end of the OEM cable and put the c-clip on through the "window" in the "Stanley". If your after market cable has a ball on the end like mine did, cut a slot the size of the cable from the "window" to the other end. Slide the cable in and voila! the cables are connected.
_MG_0472.jpg
Now you need to mount the cable casings to something so they can't move; I used a piece of aluminum flat stock as seen in photo #1 and below. I know the hose clamp was kinda cheesy but it was easy and solid. On the other end I fabricated a small clamp.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

Topic author
photo_van
I sleep in my van

Re: DIY PosiLoc disconnect for S-10 front end

Post by photo_van »

Here is the assembly mounted near the wiper motor.
_MG_0480.jpg
The last thing was to make the cable "lock" in the engaged position. You can buy really nice tractor throttle cables that will do this ($25) but what fun would that be?

I simply cut a piece of 1/2" copper tubing and slipped it over the cable. When the handle is pulled out it drops slightly and wedges between the plastic handle ferrel and the mount.

$200 savings!!
_MG_1734.jpg
Last edited by photo_van on Fri May 24, 2013 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 AWD/4WD
4" lift, 31x10.50's, NP 242j/c hybrid, 4.10 gears, S10 front disconnect, rack & pinion steering, trans cooler, rock sliders, ARB fridge, house battery and 100w solar, swing out rear rack with foldout camp table, bed and passenger swivel chair
dirt bag camping rig
1981 Toyota 4x4 pu
1974 John Deere 710

WoodButcher
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by WoodButcher »

LOL,
absolutely beautiful.
'93 Safari shorty, 350 swap
'05 Astro AWD, lifted, 6 liter, cammed, ported and programmed for fast.
'69 G10, straight 6, 3 onatree, jumped at me when I had a pocketful of cash looking for a spare astro. :)

mdmead
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Post by mdmead »

Great solution!
Matt
Selah, WA
-96 GMC Safari AWD Hi-Top Conversion -->Stalled 5.3L swap & 5" lift
-74 Ford Bronco -->Far from perfect but mine!
-99 V-10 Ford Super Duty Super Cab 4x4 -->Stock with 285 Cooper ATs
-00 Ford Focus Wagon -->The Red Turd
-95 Ford 24' Class C Motorhome -->My big block sleeper
-07 Can-Am Outlander XT -->My yellow 4x4 quad for work & play
-04 Ski Doo REV Summit -->Still several chassis behind!

No new projects until the current ones are done!

Ironhide
I am merely driving my van
I am merely driving my van

Post by Ironhide »

now that's my kind of solution! I had been fretting over having to buy a PosiLoc, but thanks to the innovative and inventive people on this forum I have the answer!