Block information

Topic author
Astro-SS-V8
I get chills without my van.
Location: Chilhowie,Va......I know you've never heard of it...

Block information

Post by Astro-SS-V8 »

I recently stripped my 89 Astro and sent the hull to the crusher. I saved everything that was good , body was very rusty and had been wrecked numerous times , only once by me . So , as I pull the engine apart on the engine stand , I notice a few things that make me scratch my head . One , the pistons have .060 stamped in the top of them , two , the camshaft is a flat tappet cam , not a roller , as should be , and third , there is two stampings on the block , one of which I get that is was built in Tonownda . Anyone know what the second stamping is for ?
block stamping.jpg
block casting.jpg
piston stamping.jpg
93 Astro cargo .... Newest Aquisition !
95 Safari , on the injured list

1Gary
I have my van tatooed on my cheeks

Re: Block information

Post by 1Gary »

Got some questions for you.In the lifter valley is there cast bosses that are drilled and tapped for the dog bones for a hydro roller lifters.1995 was a crap shoot when some engines came through as roller cams and some didn't,but had the bosses tapped and drilled.Yrs before that had the bosses cast but where not tapped and drilled.Earlier models without either needs to use a expensive conversion kit.

These casting numbers above the flywheel at the rear of the engine will give you a yr range and alittle about the engine like is either a 4 bolt or 2 bolt 350.

http://web.archive.org/web/200805180306 ... ortec.com/

The other stamped numbers is a clue to more info on the deck of the engine in front.It also means this block was never decked before.If you measure from the deck to the top of the piston and take into account the stacked parts values,it can help you determine if those pistons are a standard re-builder's pistons with a pin height that are not too good for performance use.The stacked parts method is explained in this link:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Quench

If your plan is to freshen up this engine,there are some suggestions I can make for you too.Just remember .060 is about as big as you want to go with a OEM block.If the bores are oval-ed from wear and with SBC's needs to be checked,it is pretty much a done deal.
1979 Malibu drag race only car
1999 Sonoma 4.3 5 speed-Rufus
1989 Astro-Ole Yellar cancelled-still selling off parts
1985 Astro-shop van R.I.P. my friend
1994 Astro LT RWD W4.3 rod knock RIP
1982 Winnebago single rear wheel-Chevy 350 Scraped 1/28/13-broken dreams......

Rochester,NY

chevymaher
I get chills without my van.

Re: Block information

Post by chevymaher »

I found this for the casting number of the block.

1986: In 1986, the block (c/n 14088553) was modified to accommodate the new one-piece rear main seal. The fuel pump hole was still open, even though it wasn't always needed, because all of the cars and some of the trucks came with throttle body injection.

The other stamping on the front were tonawanda's stampings. Their records for the block. When it was made and other assorted what nots.
Image90 astro parts van gone.94 safari SLE.68 chevelle SS clone.