Rear hatch wont close, not actuator or seal issue

FROM BUFFING YOUR PAINT, TO REPLACING CRINKLED FENDERS TO SWAPPING A NEWER FRONT END ON, TO SHAVING DOOR HANDLES. TO REPLACING DOOR HANDLES OR INSTALLING CUSTOM TAIL LIGHTS, POST THEM HERE.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Rear hatch wont close, not actuator or seal issue

Post by Wiley »

Ok, so I know some people have an issue with the seals and cold temperatures, as well as needing to replace the actuators. My hatch has not closed for several months, I went with the old school cable lock route. Finally, ready to tackle the issue I removed the trim on my hatch. The actuator works, I can see the arms deploy, and both are connected, as I know the arms often come off and cause a problem for people and opening the door. My problem is the ?locking mechanisms? see pic. I think I need new ones, as they dont not click closed when I press them in with a screw driver/finger.

Is there a method to opening these up? I read to clean them thoroughly, does that just mean spraying them and re-greasing, not necessarily opening them? I dont see how they would open well without breaking them, but maybe I can open them and tinker with them to get them working for now. Neither close, so if I do need new ones what is the technical name so I can look for new ones. Thanks
Attachments
IMG_3568.JPG
2guys1truck.com: 2004 AWD Chevy Astro from California to Colombia!
want to follow along, or think our paths may cross, Facebook kjswiley

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear hatch wont close, not actuator or seal issue

Post by Wiley »

Apon further review I believe I just need to swap out the parts, doesnt look like it opens. I believe there is a round thing with teeth, that came loose. Something doesnt catch, and the arm to release it also doesnt feel like it is hitting anything. Oh well, I will take the part to autozone to at least get the name of the part, and see if I can pick one up in a junkyard.

Topic author
Wiley
ASV Supporter
ASV Supporter

Re: Rear hatch wont close, not actuator or seal isso ill jus

Post by Wiley »

For anyone needing it in the future, here are the part numbers, I found them online for about 60-100 each but will try a junkyard first. I think its just called a "lift latch". Didnt open it, would need to use a vise press or something to grab it and then break it open with little hopes of closing it in working order, but I think it works with one of those circular wheels with teeth, and a bar that releases when you press the trunk button, kind of like the teeth setup on a jack stand. Either way mine do nothing

98-05: They are also the same from a GMC Safari 98-2005
Left 15012924 (15123706)
Right 15012925 (15199991)

For the old ones
92-97: Left 15713267
Right 15713268